• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can of rusty worms

Welded up the curve and cleaned up the welds. It fitted pretty good, but I wasn't sure if I should tack the patch in place or tack it to the extension. I decided to to the latter and make it one solid piece. First I tacked it together to be sure I could get it out and back in as one piece. Worked great.
IMG_4036.JPG
IMG_4037.JPG

After welding the two together solid and clean up the welds, drilled out holes for plug welds, it is ready to install.

I placed the extension back in and fitted again (5th time!) with the trunk pan and clamped it up.
I was concerned about the correct height, which if too low, the pan overlap would not be enough to weld together and if too high, the pan will not sit flush. Lots of measuring and cross measuring, etc. I used a bottle jack to raise it where I wanted it and welded away.
IMG_4038.JPG
IMG_4039.JPG
IMG_4040.JPG

I tacked it in place so i could remove the pan again and welded from inside the trunk extension. I did this as I thought it would be better to weld the thinner pan to the thicker metal of the braces. It was tough fitting my melon with helmet inside there! It work out though but was tricky welding.

I also noticed the pan wasn't sitting down snug in the corner. When I made the patch, I replicated the downward profile of the top lip of the brace at the end, but on only one side. I didn't realize at the time that it is on both rail lips. An easy fix at this stage. Cut it and finished welding the patch to the brace.
IMG_4045.JPG

IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4050.JPG

Well that was fun! Now on to the other side today. I didn't cut it out so I'm hoping less work is needed.

You guys in the rust belt sure do have patience and talent to do this stuff. People like me in the southwest are spoiled. That amount of rust in a care would make me want to find another body to work on. I'm so flippin lucky my 65 is not swiss cheesed.

You guys in the rust belt sure do have patience and talent to do this stuff. People like me in the southwest are spoiled. That amount of rust in a care would make me want to find another body to work on. I'm so flippin lucky my 65 is not swiss cheesed.

Patience and determination, not so sure about talent lol. I don't know how much salt this old girl has seen, but I think rain and humidity are the real enemies which seem to be just about everywhere. I agree it would be better to find one with less (much less!) rust, but these early 60's beauties are scarce in these parts. Truth is, I've just about had my fill of rust repair. Getting anxious to dive into the mechanical fun stuff!

Marked up the pan and drilled 1/8" holes first to check the position on the frame. If my measurements or markings are off, it is easier to correct a small hole rather than fill a larger hole I figured.
IMG_4058.JPG
IMG_4059.JPG

That's a lot of holes, 160+! My arms are tired lol.
Cleaned off the spots on the frame and sprayed some weld-thru primer.

Let the welding begin!

IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

Dinner bell rang so I'll have to finish it up tomorrow. My back said it was time to quit a few hours ago anyway. Lots of fun curling up inside the trunk!

The good news is that you know it's big enough to fit 3-4 dead bodies in it if needed . . . LMAO . . .

Looking great - and very solid too . . . nice work and the trunk extensions too . . . you're definitely getting the hang of the welding . . . Keep at it . . .

You stated . . .
"it is easier to correct a small hole rather than fill a larger hole I figured."

C'mon . . . you're getting good at the welding, it doesn't matter what size the hole is, you'll get it filled in just fine ! ! !

The good news is that you know it's big enough to fit 3-4 dead bodies in it if needed . . . LMAO . . .

Looking great - and very solid too . . . nice work and the trunk extensions too . . . you're definitely getting the hang of the welding . . . Keep at it . . .

You stated . . .
"it is easier to correct a small hole rather than fill a larger hole I figured."

C'mon . . . you're getting good at the welding, it doesn't matter what size the hole is, you'll get it filled in just fine ! ! !

LOL!

Top of the pan is completely welded without issue. Took a long time but was trouble free thanks to the fit of AMD part. Didn't even need clecos or screws! Just a little pressure from my sleek 200lb frame here & there, along with a little work with the pointed end of my body hammer.
The extensions to pan welding was a pita. Had to crank the volts up to get a solid arc. The of the pan and the wheel wells still do & lots of grinding...
Took a day off today with all of the freezing rain we're having today.

Last edited:
Kudos, man! All I'll say is you must want that car 'real bad'.
But, fully admire....!!!!

Heck yeah! That's the fun part. Go ahead and toss a trans in the deal for gravy.

I decided (a year ago) not to mess with the transmission and take it to a friend of mine who runs a trans business. I wanted to tackle it though, but I was delusional in thinking I would be driving it last summer and I wouldn't have had time lol.

What! Ya mean you already have your hands full? Hehe.
Think I know what you mean.

I admire your patience in restoring your car. I wish I could do the same with my 1967 Plymouth Belvedere.

It certainly has tested my patience from time to time! I didn't start out wanting to restore it though, just wanted to clean up the engine bay for an upgrade from the poly318. Kind of snowballed from there. Honestly, I didn't know what I was getting into in the beginning, but I got the car for a decent price I thought and it looked pretty good on the outside as well as the interior. I could see some issues like the firewall and the floor when I inspected it, but I didn't see some of the major work ahead like the cowl and trunk. Inexperience showing, but I looked at it like a challenge and the car seemed worth the effort to me. I could have just left the tired old 318 in there or just swap to a BB, but I'm always envious when I see the level of detail on other's cars at shows or our local club meets. Besides, where's the fun or satisfaction in just leaving it alone? lol
I think if this old electrician can tackle this much work with half decent results, anyone can. All comes down time, patience and a crapload of money!

Let's see some pics of that '67!

Glenwood, the progress is looking great. The trunk extensions was a pain installing on my car also.
Come on man, you don't want to tackle an auto transmission rebuild.....and have parts leftover after finishing...lol. Wheres your since of adventure.....
The build is looking great keep at it. You will be finished before I will.

Glenwood, the progress is looking great. The trunk extensions was a pain installing on my car also.
Come on man, you don't want to tackle an auto transmission rebuild.....and have parts leftover after finishing...lol. Wheres your since of adventure.....
The build is looking great keep at it. You will be finished before I will.

Thanks Crumley. Got my head stuck in the wheel wells now lol. What a pain to fab up patches in there.

Decided it might be better to leave the tranny to a pro and put the effort into building the engine myself. That's about all the adventure I need for now!

Thanks Crumley. Got my head stuck in the wheel wells now lol. What a pain to fab up patches in there.

Decided it might be better to leave the tranny to a pro and put the effort into building the engine myself. That's about all the adventure I need for now!
Sometimes you have to pick your battles. Since you are a retired sparky, maybe your trans connection needs some of your expertise. When I was working on my neighbors 68 C20 I was just getting started to do the front clip, finish the a/c, install electric fans, finish the wiring etc when my Mrs decided she wanted a bunch of honey do's done which I would have struggled doing correctly. I had an epiphany. The truck owner, John, was a retired contractor and that stuff was right up his alley. LABOR TRADE TIME! Worked out perfect for all involved.

Auto Transport Service
Back