• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't win a round to save my life!

I tuned for "normal conditions" and let it ride. Build the car for as consistant hook as possible.

Index racing you need to tune for changing atmospheric and track conditions. Bracket racing you just need to run your number.
Two different animals.
Yup...but I liked to tune my cars to run the number either way. My car was capable of running 10.50's but it would change after time trials were over and when the sun went down, it made a good bit of difference. It didn't change anymore once I detuned it. Back then very few people had weather stations and me included. Plus I didn't like making changes between rounds. Around here, once the sun went down, the humidity levels went way up to the point dew would settle on the cars and sometimes it was bad enough to affect the track surface. For me, the changing track conditions was usually more of a challenge than the weather changing.

Yup...but I liked to tune my cars to run the number either way. My car was capable of running 10.50's but it would change after time trials were over and when the sun went down, it made a good bit of difference. It didn't change anymore once I detuned it. Back then very few people had weather stations and me included. Plus I didn't like making changes between rounds. Around here, once the sun went down, the humidity levels went way up to the point dew would settle on the cars and sometimes it was bad enough to affect the track surface. For me, the changing track conditions was usually more of a challenge than the weather changing.
Agreed, track conditions are WAY tougher than weather. Even w/o electronics I can easily tune it with in .01.
Doug

QUOTE="Cranky, post: 910769619, member: 2509"]So why did you disagree with my post?

I'm assuming you mean my comment about not paying attention to the other car? Ran a finals this weekend.
Sundays final was a perfect example. My car spun the tires hard. I stay in it but figure it's fruitless and I've lost. The guy at the ticket shack hands me my slip with a smile on his face. Why was he smiling at me?
R/T .046 dial 9.25 ET 9.439 .235 pkg Win
R/T .030 dial 11.0 ET 10.994 .024 pkg -.006 break out
That's a stripe margin of .211 or roughly 38 feet.
Not wanting to break out in Saturday nights final my finish line stripe was .004 or roughly 15"
Doug[/QUOTE]

Why did the car spin the tires? My post about racing your own race works for me unless there's a problem like you had. 38 feet is a pretty good amount but I'm thinking you made him a little nervous when you were running him down and closing the gap fairly quickly? I would have done the same thing. If my car is working like it's supposed to, I don't pay much if any attention to the other guy but as much as I hate getting on the brakes on the top end....probably would have done it in that case. .006 break out sucks lol

I'm assuming you mean my comment about not paying attention to the other car? Ran a finals this weekend.
Sundays final was a perfect example. My car spun the tires hard. I stay in it but figure it's fruitless and I've lost. The guy at the ticket shack hands me my slip with a smile on his face. Why was he smiling at me?
Not wanting to break out in Saturday nights final my finish line stripe was .004 or roughly 15"
Doug

Why did the car spin the tires? My post about racing your own race works for me unless there's a problem like you had. 38 feet is a pretty good amount but I'm thinking you made him a little nervous when you were running him down and closing the gap fairly quickly? I would have done the same thing. If my car is working like it's supposed to, I don't pay much if any attention to the other guy but as much as I hate getting on the brakes on the top end....probably would have done it in that case. .006 break out sucks lol[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure. 20 minutes earlier it went 1.29 60ft, same tune up, 1.41 60ft, worst of the weekend. Tires have 130 passes but I hate to swap them out as only 2 races to go. Fresh rubber in the spring. At the finish stripe I shoot for less than .02. I've already been nipped when I took .018 earlier this year. In my book if you can't drive both ends of the track you won't win very often.
Doug

Win streak ended at 16rds. I ran a 15.20 car yesterday. Setting for 6 seconds seems like an eternity. I was late .081 to his .046. Took the stripe by .008 but do to my poor light I was done. Pretty tight stripe on a car that is 60 mph slower than mine. Again you need to drive both ends of the track.
Doug

Last edited:
Doug

Why did the car spin the tires? My post about racing your own race works for me unless there's a problem like you had. 38 feet is a pretty good amount but I'm thinking you made him a little nervous when you were running him down and closing the gap fairly quickly? I would have done the same thing. If my car is working like it's supposed to, I don't pay much if any attention to the other guy but as much as I hate getting on the brakes on the top end....probably would have done it in that case. .006 break out sucks lol[/QUOTE]
Cranky, a .001 or a .002 breakout really sucks!

Why did the car spin the tires? My post about racing your own race works for me unless there's a problem like you had. 38 feet is a pretty good amount but I'm thinking you made him a little nervous when you were running him down and closing the gap fairly quickly? I would have done the same thing. If my car is working like it's supposed to, I don't pay much if any attention to the other guy but as much as I hate getting on the brakes on the top end....probably would have done it in that case. .006 break out sucks lol
[/QUOTE]Did that one time lol but when I did it, it was a .499 :D It was with a bud's car and there was only time for one time trial. Staged somewhat shallow and cut a .990 light. The car, a 77 Charger with a 400 was his tow truck at the time and it had a pretty soft suspension so that didn't totally surprise me. It would squat the rear and lift the front and then move forward lol. First round I staged more shallow and left on the 2nd to the last yellow and cut the .499 Oh well, fun while it lasted

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back