• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car Craft: '70 Hemi Challenger Barn Find

DASH AND GAUGES MORE (1).jpgDOOR LH SIDE (2).jpgDouche bag is a nice descriptive term for the seller, but, crook, pathological liar and bragger are also good ways to describe this guy. After I worked out the agreed upon purchase price with the seller on May 8th, he could not tell me fast enough how badly he screwed the third owner who he purchased the Challenger from. When I asked him where the space saver spare tire and jack were, he told me they were not in the vehicle when her purchased it a week or two before we bought your vehicle. Then a day or two later he emailed me that he had found the spare and jack and would sell both items to us for $1,000.00. We passed on the spare tire and jack. What a dick. However, we are just glad to have gotten the vehicle out of his possession before he could rob anything else off of it. Really look forward to meeting you. Weather will be nice here in November.

...Then a day or two later he emailed me that he had found the spare and jack and would sell both items to us for $1,000.00. We passed on the spare tire and jack. What a dick. However, we are just glad to have gotten the vehicle out of his possession before he could rob anything else off of it. Really look forward to meeting you. Weather will be nice here in November.

This is/was a common problem with project grade Shelby Mustangs: Sh*tbags sells the car minus the original block, but with an acceptable date code piece, or without other parts of the drivetrain that also have the VIN number on them. Then "discovers" it much later to "extort" from you larger sums of money. "You just spent $25k on the paint and body, why cant you come up with $10k for the VIN stamped block?

Wow...this is great!
Good to see the car reunited with the original owner plus nice to see it getting the TLC it deserves.
Ward did you farm in Emmetsburg? I'm not all that far away, up by Blue Earth MN. Was in high school around that time, my dad farmed and lost everything in the late 80's, it was a bad time for sure.

Reed

I am 62 years old and graduated from Emmetsburg High School in 1970. My dad farmed all of his life one mile NE of Emmetsburg all of his life until he died this past July.

These last two pics are cut off now that I see them on a pc instead of my phone...
here are better views plus a pic of street scene mag from oct 77 issue

IMG_38129879686594.jpgscan0001.jpgscan0003.jpg20130815_110736.jpg

Last edited:
I assume your name is James A Anderson and you bought this Hemi Challenger at Stew Hanson Dodge in December 1969. We purchased your vehicle for a customer on May 8, 2013 from the unethical hustler listed in the Car Craft article. I am from Emmetsburg, Iowa and moved to Arizona in 1986 after the farm economy went bust. We have lived in Arizona since that time. Let me assure you your Challenger will have a good home. In the next few months, we will start a total restoration on your vehicle. Please check out are website, www.qualitymusclecarrestorations.com My telephone number is 602-810-2039. We would very much like you to come see the vehicle and our shop, and visit with us when you come to Arizona in the near future. Enclosed are recent photos, and also one photo of a 71 Cuda convertible we are currently restoring. Thank you Ward Gappa. View attachment 141393View attachment 141394

....it makes me feel worthy to be in this forum to read stuff like this. I'm so glad this car is going to make it back to it's glory.

Update: I had the pleasure of visiting Ward's shop and seeing my old Hemi after 36 years on Monday...can't tell you how great it was to sit in it again and to feel all the memories come rushing back..! The Challenger is waiting it's turn in storage for restoration and it's in great hands, Ward has some finished cars at the shop and they are restored to perfection and can't wait to see his work on the Challenger done.

Pic of myself in drivers seat:
10829877004_244236dfec_b.jpg

DSC_0165 by nascar4401, on Flickr

Pic of Ward and I:
10829622433_6ffbc76629_b.jpg

DSC_0162 by nascar4401, on Flickr

Pic of myself and a long time friend who road to school with me in the Hemi.

10829787164_7013223c0c_b.jpg

DSC_0176 by nascar4401, on Flickr

10829743616_a9d5e42497_b.jpg

DSC_0168 by nascar4401, on Flickr

10829497434_d64aaca764_b.jpg

DSC_0157 by nascar4401, on Flickr

10829702893_ea3ae632fb_b.jpg

DSC_0153 by nascar4401, on Flickr

10829822453_52fcd84c79_b.jpg

DSC_0140 by nascar4401, on Flickr

Great to see you got together with your old car! Thanks for the pics.
Does the car run and drive right now?

Great to see you got together with your old car! Thanks for the pics.
Does the car run and drive right now?
It will start up but we did not start or drive it ....it probably won't drive again till restored.

Posted via Topify on Android

What? You and he are like the exact same guy. Anyway congratulations that is so awesome that you got to see your car again and esp with your old buddy. I know that was a cool day. Congrats brother !!

This has to be one of the greatest stories I have read. Congratulations on the reunion.

Hell Ya!! Double Hell Ya!! I just read this thread. This is so awesome. It's really cool that the current owner took the time to come here and hence create a reunion with a previous owner. Wow, just wow. This is how this hobby was meant to be. This just topped off a great day.

Hell Ya!! Double Hell Ya!! I just read this thread. This is so awesome. It's really cool that the current owner took the time to come here and hence create a reunion with a previous owner. Wow, just wow. This is how this hobby was meant to be. This just topped off a great day.

The guy who has it now (Ward) is restoering it for a client from New Jersey who bought the car from the guy mentioned in Car Craft. Ward was great and spent his afternoon with my buddies and I showing us around his shop and going 20 mile from his shop to see the Challenger in storage. He is also from my home state, Iowa.
I had a blast!

that's awesome...I often wonder where some of my toys ended up
Do you know if they plan on painting it the original color before you bought her?

Auto Transport Service
Back