• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car dies while driving

99% sure its electrical and may be the bulkhead. Disconnect it and spray it with contact cleaner. Check for corrosion on the contacts. finish with dielectric grease and reconnect.

other things to check would be low voltage at the ballast resistor and coil positive. Looking for around 7-9v at coil. Also bad grounds or loose wires on the ballast resistor or coil. Wildcard would be bad ground on neutral safety switch wiring if you have a 727. A partially melted NSS wire flapping around a hot header collector could cause problems.

the times this has happened to me it has been a loose connection on an ignition wire. It is the worst feeling i can relate that much, especially in traffic.

I can relate. Was the bulkhead for me. Good luck. When removed, it looked like 40+ years of road grime. No problems since. Over 3 years now. Searched for about 18 months to find it. Mine died on Carson pass, wife other half in car. Not good. I bought a new connector and all related components. I carry them with me. Afraid to touch it as it is not currently broke. The day it died, I left the ignition in the on position. Had an electric fuel pump at the time. Leaned over the drivers side fender and grabbed the bulkhead. With pressure the pump started. An emotional moment. Always use a fender cover too.
That doesn't sound fun! I'm gonna unplugg my bulkhead and spray it good with contact cleaner and go from there.

I had an issue with my positive lead on my ammeter wiggling. It was ever so barely loose. One wiggle, car would quit abruptly. Then start back up. My clue was that all electrical in the car was gone, interior light, dash gauges, heater fan etc. Needless to say ammeter is no longer part of the system.

I had an issue with my positive lead on my ammeter wiggling. It was ever so barely loose. One wiggle, car would quit abruptly. Then start back up. My clue was that all electrical in the car was gone, interior light, dash gauges, heater fan etc. Needless to say ammeter is no longer part of the system.
Great suggestion of something to check. Thanks!!

99% sure its electrical and may be the bulkhead. Disconnect it and spray it with contact cleaner. Check for corrosion on the contacts. finish with dielectric grease and reconnect.

other things to check would be low voltage at the ballast resistor and coil positive. Looking for around 7-9v at coil. Also bad grounds or loose wires on the ballast resistor or coil. Wildcard would be bad ground on neutral safety switch wiring if you have a 727. A partially melted NSS wire flapping around a hot header collector could cause problems.

the times this has happened to me it has been a loose connection on an ignition wire. It is the worst feeling i can relate that much, especially in traffic.
Thanks for all the great suggestions of things to try. Much appreciated.

Auto Transport Service
Back