• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb for a mild 440 suggestions

If budget allows, might be worth giving AED Performance a call. They are extremely helpful with finding something for your exact application... Or else give em a call and see what you can find out. Good luck, sounds like a fun combo
That's what I did and could not be more satisfied. Perfect match.

P1010387.JPG

I've run numerous 3310's & 750 DP's on my 440's and an aftermarket Carter AFB( which seemed to be about the same as an AVS). The 750 DP can work really well, but will likely take some tinkering with the acc pump cam & shooter size in addition to the jets (stay close to stock jet size). 3310's work well also, again tinkering is likely needed with the secondary spring, shooter & acc pump cam. The 750's were always a little "crisper" once I got them optimized. A 650 DP would probably work just great too. The Carter worked great on my 360 when the carb was new, but it did "age". Doesn't the Ford kickdown on the 3310 just unbolt?

That's what I did and could not be more satisfied. Perfect match.

View attachment 389410
There is something sexy about a spanking new intake/carb setup, I remember walking into one of our local speed shops (seems to be very hard to find now a days) and seeing all them shiny new intake carb setups on the shelfs. Now I walk in "speed shops" and they have wheels, them laser fit floor liners, them stick on window vents, and before they used to offer dyno tuning and sell 5 gallon jugs of CAM 2, now they offer window tinting and sell 50 different kinds of car wash/wax...
rant over

There is something sexy about a spanking new intake/carb setup, I remember walking into one of our local speed shops (seems to be very hard to find now a days) and seeing all them shiny new intake carb setups on the shelfs. Now I walk in "speed shops" and they have wheels, them laser fit floor liners, them stick on window vents, and before they used to offer dyno tuning and sell 5 gallon jugs of CAM 2, now they offer window tinting and sell 50 different kinds of car wash/wax...
rant over
You hit the mark on this one!!!

You guys are way out of my league and desire for aftermarket engine mods. I just want a replacement carb for my OEM 67 GTX 440 4spd. Original everything. I tried having my original rebuilt, even called Summit and they recommended the CARB Shop back east. $300 later, my carb idles with the adjustment screws turned all the way in. Pisses me off. I just want everything to fit back on the engine with what it came with. Stock air cleaner, etc. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks Marty

You guys are way out of my league and desire for aftermarket engine mods. I just want a replacement carb for my OEM 67 GTX 440 4spd. Original everything. I tried having my original rebuilt, even called Summit and they recommended the CARB Shop back east. $300 later, my carb idles with the adjustment screws turned all the way in. Pisses me off. I just want everything to fit back on the engine with what it came with. Stock air cleaner, etc. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks Marty

This is the racers hangout, after all
It's really about modifications beyond stock OEM, factory replacement stuff
Try posting that question in the general discussion forum

if it's OEM stock you want,
replace it with a "properly rebuild Correct Carter"

good luck

Marty maybe you have a vacuum leak? OR the carb ain't right? Send it back for repair/replacement? Anything around 780cfm or a tad smaller shud work.

I'd suggest a 750 or 780 Holley with vacuum secondaries. Will work on your GTX great.

The new 750 3310AS looks good. Don't think it has 4 corner idle. Having the secondaries with screw in jets is a real tuning benefit, although I bet stock jetting would be very close. Not sure what kickdown apparatus you're talking about. The catalog picture looks normal to me. .

Holley carbs are great. But the guy is asking about a stock setup with the original placement of the coil and fuel line.
That said, I'd have the carter gone through and the idle circuit modified for modern day pump swill.

Got a mild built 440 460 HP dyno 440 source heads hyd roller 10:1 Holley 870 Street Avenger vac secondaries, runs great not too much fuel. 3:55 at 60 MPH 12 MPG plugs look great.

Holley carbs are great. But the guy is asking about a stock setup with the original placement of the coil and fuel line.
That said, I'd have the carter gone through and the idle circuit modified for modern day pump swill.

Got a mild built 440 460 HP dyno 440 source heads hyd roller 10:1 Holley 870 Street Avenger vac secondaries, runs great not too much fuel. 3:55 at 60 MPH 12 MPG plugs look great.

Jackpot that sounds like a nice combination. A Holley with vacuum secondaries, 750 and up would all work great for this fellow's build. The coil would still locate ahead of the carb and if the dual feed line is a problem it's simple to fabricate a fuel line.

I agree with 65-440, go with the street avenger series. Awesome vacuum secondary carb and you can get it with an electric choke. Strong carb and perfectly streetable. Best of both worlds!

Auto Transport Service
Back