• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carb heat dissapators

runner74

Local time
8:49 AM
Reaction score
Wondering what you all are using for carb heat dissipation, phenolic whatever.

Carb is a Carter AFB mounting on stock cast 74 400 intake. Had a 3/4" aluminum spacer or adapter which I removed. Looks like the carb will bolt right on with the two bolt patterns but want some type of phenolic spacer (Not to thick) or Mr. gasket 97 or something to prevent some of the heat to carb. Please list part numbers if you can.

Thanks

I've had carb/fuel vapor lock issues for years. The best I've found was the style of heat spacer that's gasket/aluminum (1/8")/gasket/aluminum(1/8"), etc. On 4 bbl. the top 1/8" aluminum piece is usually a much larger size that sort of "deflects" heat & is much larger than a carb gasket, maybe 8" x 8", while all the other 1/8" thick aluminum pieces are exactly the same size/shape as the carburetor gaskets. I had one on a 4 bbl. that I had to trim a little bit to clear the big vacuum nipple at the back on the intake.
th?id=OIP.My69ahuhiad4ZMq-NnTRVAEsEs&pid=15.jpg

My second choice is the phenolic ones. Aluminum by itself isn't very good in my mind because aluminum conducts heat very well & you're trying to insulate the carburetor from the manifold/engine heat.

I bought the Edelbrock 8723 wood. These are 3/4". They come in 1/2" (4750) $30. Wood suppose to be better. They are marked "front" because they can be installed off center.
20170620_091902.jpg

Phenolic.

Phenolic, 1/2". I bought it for my Edelbrock and left it on there when I went to a Holley.

I've had good success with both wood and phenolic on Edelbrock carbs I was having heating issues with. Like Bruzilla, I left the phenolic one on when I went to a Holley carb since that was already on there.

Thank you all

I ordered the Edelbrock 8723

Thanks again

Wondering what you all are using for carb heat dissipation, phenolic whatever.

Carb is a Carter AFB mounting on stock cast 74 400 intake. Had a 3/4" aluminum spacer or adapter which I removed. Looks like the carb will bolt right on with the two bolt patterns but want some type of phenolic spacer (Not to thick) or Mr. gasket 97 or something to prevent some of the heat to carb. Please list part numbers if you can.

Thanks

For carb heat / vapor lock:
With stock heads with exhaust crossover, you can use the Fel-Pro 1214 intake gasket that blocks the exhaust crossover.
RPM air-gap intake or intake with no exhaust crossover.
wood or phenolic spacer.
return style fuel regulator at carb, or restricted by-pass fuel return at carb.
fresh / cool air intake.
Maybe a non-metalic air filter base/top like the Carbon Fiber Moroso 65915?
A way to route or remove under hood heat away from intake and carb.

image.png
1/2 inch spacer under Demon.

I found out something about the Phenolic spacers last night. I just put a new carb-mounted spring return and cable kickdown on my car, and both of these mount to the driver's side of the carb. When I installed the brackets, I tightened down the nuts on that side more than the ones on the passenger side were (they were "hand tight" as called for in the Holley instructions).

What ended up happening was I compressed the spacer on the driver's side more than on the passenger side, which tilted the base of the carb just enough to create a minor vacuum leak. So if you use a spacer, make sure all four bolts are tightened the same amount.

Auto Transport Service
Back