• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carburetor Advice

streetmachine

Local time
12:34 PM
Reaction score
As the thread says I'm looking for carburetor recommendations. I was planning on getting a Holley Street Dominator and using the Thermoquad on the engine now but, got a decent deal on an old Offenhauser 360 Intake part number 5762. The other part of this equation is I'm not sure if there is any "Ethanol" Friendly kits for the Thermoquad. The Thermoquad on the engine now I think needs a rebuild. Going from vague memory, I think there is a couple of pieces that use a glue like substance in the Thermoquad.

Anyways, the engine in question is a stock or mostly stock 1975 440 Motorhome or Truck engine. Engine still even has the Cast Iron Intake with EGR Valve. Has 1969 HP Exhaust Manifolds on it now. I'm hoping I can still use a factory dual snorkel air cleaner. I was thinking of going with a "Holley" style carburetor but, uncertain. I see there copy cats such as the Demon, Quick Fuel, Brawler, etc. Perhaps, I should also think about an Edelbrock Carburetor? The car is mainly a street/highway cruiser with 3.55 gears in a 1970 B-Body with automatic. Attached in this post is a picture of the intake design. Thank you in advance.

Offenhauser 440 manifold 2.jpg

One thing I do is add either Sea Foam or an equivalent to the gas every time I fill up. It seems to help with the crappy gas today.

I love my edelbrock for street driving. It was extremely easy and clean to tune and works well on a mild engine.

I love my edelbrock for street driving. It was extremely easy and clean to tune and works well on a mild engine.
And they would work well on that intake. A thermoquad would require some machining for the secondaries to open. That intake isn't designed for a spread bore type carb.

in my opinion, for cruising around a dual plane intake would be more desirable no matter the carb.

in my opinion, for cruising around a dual plane intake would be more desirable no matter the carb.
LD4B's are a favorite. I like the lack of plumbing ports on the old ones. They are a bit hard to find though and prices have gone through the roof though.

Hah... a large TQ on a Holley Street Dominator was one of the BEST combo's I ever ran on a 440. I don't ever recall using a spread-bore on an Offy. So, you got a deal on the intake, but now you want to cough up for a carb ? Not sure about the math on that one.

Agree with Post #9. HSD intake & a TQ.

Eth fuel absorbs water which can cause corrosion problems in metal carb bodies. Less likely to be a problem with the TQ. The acc plunger in today's repair kits should be E compatible.

Auto Transport Service
Back