• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carnage from last night

RT K_line

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
Well I took both valve covers off after work and I found a broken spring retainer. I think I found all of the pieces except for a piece of the lash cap. I didn't bring home my small magnet to hunt for it. #6 intake valve is bent and hit the piston. From what I can see with the camera the piston is in one piece with only a small mark where the valve hit. I'll know more this weekend if the weather holds out. Here are some pics.
20171214_180226.jpg
20171214_180828.jpg
20171214_175531.jpg

On top of 1st gear at 6100 at the track last night. I'll tear it down this weekend to have a look at the rest of the engine.

are those stock retainers?
They are HD 10 degree retainers I had added with my over size valves when I bought the Eddy RPMS from Racing Head Service which I found out was apparently indy. I had to send the heads back because I needed the open chamber heads for my step head pistons. The paperwork I got back said indy. AND I don't think I got the 2.19 1.88 valves I paid for. I guess I'll know for sure when I have to replace the valve that was damaged.

I notice the 10 degree locks now that you mention it, but the retainers don't look like (from the bottom view) any aftermarket moly retainers i'm familiar with.

Checked the rest of the retainers and found 2 others with cracks on half of the retainer. No other signs of contact with rocker arms just parts failure from what I can see. Feel free to chime in if you have seen anything like this before. Thanks in advance for your input.

20171215_213038.jpg 20171215_212949.jpg

Got one head off before the rain got too bad. Also see something strange in the affected cylinder wall. Any thoughts, time to rering already? Sticking ring? Wasn't smoking or have any noticeable blowby. Also no wear Ridge at the top of cylinder, which I wouldn't expect with 13,000 miles.

1513466424854-79185146.jpg 20171216_165320.jpg 20171216_165329.jpg 20171216_165259_001.jpg

Seems like coil bind might be the culprit. The Racing Head Service I'm familiar with is in Memphis and is mostly a Chevy shop.

What brand of rockers are those?

If you're breaking the retainers there's a setup problem. Plus the rust in the cylinders is REALLY a problem. You've got some problems.

moper makes a really good point about the rust. Head gasket? Cracked head? Sitting in the rain with no air cleaner? Also 13K won't give you a ridge in a Mopar block, maybe not at 100K. They're much harder than a chevie.

Bottom left picture. Short vertical rust line looks like a hair line crack, to me.
Top of piston is suspect, too. Any others like that? Clean, but pitted...signs of too much 'water' injection. I'd sure get it checked.

moper makes a really good point about the rust. Head gasket? Cracked head? Sitting in the rain with no air cleaner? Also 13K won't give you a ridge in a Mopar block, maybe not at 100K. They're much harder than a chevie.
OK tonight I reinstalled the head minus the damaged valve. Had a pressure tester with 17 psi for over an hour and no water entering the cylinder, checked with a camera. When I cleaned the brown substance off the cylinder it was like carbon or fuel coking. I had an issue back when I started to do the bodywork and paint where the carb would smoke after I shut it down. I can only guess that is where it came from as I see no other issue that can cause it. I've seen it in diesel tanks that haven't been used for a while so I'm going with that and moving forward. I took my 906s to get surfaced and will swap the springs over when I pull the heads back off. As far as coil bind causing the retainer failure I don't see it as a possibility as there is plenty of clearence at full lift. Also I didn't see any indication on the valve spring that would point to that. It was most likely a part that wasn't up to the task. I paid for an upgraded 10* retainer but apparently it wasn't chrome molly. Thanks for your input.
Ken

Last edited:
Regardless of your testing (BTW - cracks can seal when cold and leak after operating temp...) the crap on the walls will have done something to the rings too. If it were me, that engine would be out, on a stand, and coming completely apart for some close inspection. There is nothing that might go down a carb - sanding dust, paint, anything - that would leave marks like that. And if it did stick to a wall, the rings should wipe it clean every pass. Not trying to be difficult but that thing is sick and it's not just the head work.

Auto Transport Service
Back