• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chekov checks out @ 27

The shifter is a turd! I have one and can see how it will kill people. Ive never had to look at the gear selector to know what gear my car is in! The problem with this shifter is there is no physical relation to the shifter location and the gear its in! say what you will, its a failure.
Love your avatar, I bought one just like it right out of the show room in Sept of 69.
Took it directly to the drag strip and beat all of those LS6's.
Never had any trouble know what gear I was in.

So here we go again. Some poor soul gets killed in a horrible accident and all the mouths are engaged in overdrive telling us what a idiot he was. So nobody never made a mistake or had a accident. Then of course you knock him because of his age. In fact you know the whole feaking generation. Of course its that generation putting there lives on the line for us but we wont go into that. I've worked on and around heavy equipment,trucks and machinery since I'm a kid and while i tried to be safe i and a few close calls and age had nothing to do with it,nor did paying attention, it just wasn't my time. Call it Gods will or just plain luck. The young guy with so much ahead of him made a error and God decided it was his time to call him home. Like i was always taught if you have nothing good to say its always better to shut up

67501905.jpg

:elmer:

:D

I agree with you Steve, but I found that funny picture and i just had to post it.

If you read this article, which was on the first page of the thread, it explains the problem and confusion with the shifter.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...otix&partner=yahootix&yptr=yahoo#840f9c46d9d1

In essence, they took the traditional shift lever, which is something we all have become familiar with, and turned it into an electronic joystick and I can certainly agree with the article's assessment and the problems with it.

Good info RC. So maybe this young guy that killed wasn't the total **** up he's being portrayed as. -----------My kid has a brand new BMW suv,really nice vehicle but the shifter and its auto i find very complicated as far as going into park.

My Jeep has the turd shifter and also has the keyless ignition/push button start. I find myself not shutting the engine off when I pull in somewhere. It has a key fob that you don't know what to do with. leave it in your pocket?? leave it in the cup holder compartment??? Habit makes you take it out of your pocket when you enter the vehicle, then you don't know what to do with it! Between the shifter and the ignition, you can see how the accidents happen, nothing is conventional about starting and driving the vehicle.

I don't know guys....
I'm hearing from "Good Sources" that an entire Jeep Cherokee Car Club has joined in the suit.....

Gee Dennis,
I'm MOPAR thru and thru....
But I'm hearing it was a "Hardware electronic switch" failure....
I'm hearing some execs turned a deaf ear.....

Just saying....

OK, so who was in control of Chrysler when this appeared. The Germans or the Italians?

Kind of doesn't matter who is in Control...
Chrysler is to blame....
IF it is proven to be a neglected issue...
Again, "WE" are all arm chair quarterbacks on Monday..
But: There seems to be more to the story.

Suing FCA due to Chekov not getting a text from Chrysler telling him to properly put Jeep in park.
AND, What if you don't have or want a cell phone, then what? Total BS all around! WE THE PEOPLE shouldn't have to put up with, or accept all this crap they put on vehicles now.
Ask a dealer now what options you can get, and they'll look at you funny and say why, it's loaded. But I don't want loaded, I want it the way I want it, not the way Detroit or the Govt. tell's me what I have to have is a violation of my Constitutional rights of Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness by forcing me to buy their ****, and I do mean ****!!

Caveat Emptor. Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it if you don't like or want it. The throttle and skip-shift in the new Challenger piss me off. I bought it anyway. It's on me. I won't sue FCA if somebody runs into me on the freeway because of the bullshit skip-shift. Drive around it or disable it. No neutral-safety in the Coronet. Star it in gear, or drive through the garage wall. Your choice. Your responsibility. Call it clearing of the herd. Most of us got through our 20's without being warned, coddled, or protected from evey imaginable hazard. Let them ******* figure it out.

Caveat Emptor. Vote with your wallet. Don't buy it if you don't like or want it. The throttle and skip-shift in the new Challenger piss me off. I bought it anyway. It's on me. I won't sue FCA if somebody runs into me on the freeway because of the bullshit skip-shift. Drive around it or disable it. No neutral-safety in the Coronet. Star it in gear, or drive through the garage wall. Your choice. Your responsibility. Call it clearing of the herd. Most of us got through our 20's without being warned, coddled, or protected from evey imaginable hazard. Let them ******* figure it out.

I too am pissed off with the "skip shift" in my hellcat but it's not quite as irritating as it was in my 09 challenger.
That could be due some to the different gearing? ---The bypass fix is on my list of things to do.--

As for hill hold? It is handy and I'm am getting used to relying on it. If I get too used to it It could cause problems from the unlearning process that it does to me.

The bottom line is we as drivers are obligated to understand how our cars work (or don't as the case may be).
If a feature of a car has trained us to rely on it-- fails---I see that as being no different than brakes failing (for example). **** happens when things break.

If something breaks/fails because of a design flaw the bulk of fault is on the car manufacturer.

Last edited:
The latest update:
The "Switch" company has been added to the Lawsuit

I'm not saying Chrysler is "BAD" gentlemen
I'm saying they are responsible....

After all, wasn't it GM who was found liable for all of the deaths in the defective ignition switch lawsuit?

I'm only saying, "if the Jeep Cherokee club is suing" there may be more to it than just a dumb foreign actor failing to pay attention...
PEACE OUT...
PS: Dennis,
When did you start to speak Latin?
(Translation: What does that mean...?)

On a related note, I just saw the new Star Trek movie last night & Submit and I really enjoyed it.

1981, i had a GMC Sprint(Elk) drop itself out or park.....was funny ****.
Dropping GF at Her house, which was on a semi busy, wide artery...Pima st.......kurbings were very high....and in front lawn of house, was a speed limit sign.....driveway , to side of house was about 25 ft long, angled some, towards street. Pull in driveway, up to carport, threw it in park, got out with Lynne, standing in carport with back to car, saying bye, i notice the engine getting quieter, turn around and the sprint is backing out the driveway....i run after it, its building some momentum going downhil to street, at threshold of driveway, i got a hold of driver door handle, but its like cartoon legs flailing to keep up with car, hits the street and begins an arc to right, out in street car does a full 180 and is headed back towards front lawn of house, big picture window in house....i still cant get the door open, hanging on to keep up, rear wheels hit the high kurb, car jumps kurb, takes out speed limit sign, & thankfully slowed enough, i got door open and got in just in time to brake and stop car from going through picture window into living room. Turns out Her landlord jumped for joy because He had been trying to get city of Tucson to remove the eyesore speed limit sign from His front lawn for some time......city never replanted it. The initial rush, when saying goodbye, and hearing the engine get quieter, tirning around and seeing car backing up...ill never forget it...if it had been caught on video, would be a classic. So, i never leave a car running w/o e brake firmly engaged.......the E brake covers all doubt......never rely on the gear selector alone
NEVER LEAVE A LEAVE A VEHICLE RUNNING WITHOUT PARKING BRAKE FIRMLY ENGAGED!!!!!!...& WHEELS CURBED!!! (If Available)...I learned the stoopid way.

Auto Transport Service
Back