• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic industries/MBM front disc kit.

Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
I bought and installed the MBM front disc brake kit. The install went fairly simple and I had no leftover parts.

The problem is the outer brake pads have a little play inside the caliper. They move about a quarter of an inch. When I apply the brakes while driving I can sometimes hear it shift. The car stops right and straight. It doesn't Paul left or right so I feel that all corners are getting the same pressure.

Anyone else use this kit and have the same issue.

69 Satellite "Roadrunner" clone

On my Dr Diff kit instructions said to hammer the tabs on the outboard pad to seat them tight in the caliper. Not sure if you have the same caliper.

I know a lot of these kids are the same. When I get some time this weekend I'll pull the wheels off and see if there are tabs.

imgres
This is the kit.

IMG_2730.PNG

Yep. Looking like the Dr Diff kit which I believe is Aspen/Volare knock offs.

The outboard pad has tabs. Recalling from memory the tab facing the front needs more bend downwards than the back tab. It will clip in the caliper tight when you get it bent properly.

So those outer tabs were already pre-bent at a 90 degree angle on my pads. Are you saying they need to be bent further? I'll mess around with that when I get time this weekend.

Yes, bend outer edge of tab further down. Tap with a tack hammer.

See quote below:

"Sliders need to have the outer pad custom-fitted to the caliper. Hammer the tabs (A) while supporting the bottom edge (B) on an anvil, brick, etc. The pad should just barely “snap” into place on the caliper. Too loose? Won’t fit? Bend again!"

See photo halfway down the page in this link:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/brakes/disc-main.html

Thanks, that's it. The instructions I received were horrible. I read it last night didn't see it anywhere for any other adjustments that need to be made. I'll get that fixed this weekend. Thanks

The install went fairly simple and I had no leftover parts.
You are THE MAN if the conversion went so well. Mine was a NIGHTMARE. If the outboard pad is the only issue you have you should be grateful and thankful!

You are THE MAN if the conversion went so well. Mine was a NIGHTMARE. If the outboard pad is the only issue you have you should be grateful and thankful!

I didn't really have any issues. I also replaced the upper control arms, all the suspension bushings, lower ball joint, upper ball joint, tie rods and added a front sway bar.

I did it all at the same time so maybe that's part of the reason why I didn't have issues. There were a little things that came up but that's the case with anything aftermarket.

What sort of issues did you have with the MBM conversion kit?

I used the Dr Diff kit. My nightmare was with the InLine tube brake lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back