• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil question

The 8202 will work BUT it is Vachina junk. I like a Mallory myself. Got tired of bring the MSD back to Oreillys. Leaking oil right out of the box, 3 times Sheesh.

Been using an Accel Super Stock #8140 with points. No issues.
Edit: recommended by @Don Frelier thanks.

Read the instruction sheet....& see what it says....

I’ve been using the epoxy filled MSD 8222 blaster high vibration coil for a couple of years on my point ignition system. No oil to worry about.

sad to say the msd is a dog

I’ve been using the epoxy filled MSD 8222 blaster high vibration coil for a couple of years on my point ignition system. No oil to worry about.
Am I lucky or just sexy?

Ass 2.JPG

I've only has a couple of coils fail in all my years and never had an Accel or MSD coil crap out on me.
There are some coils that are supposed to me mounted UPright. Even those I've mounted upright and horizontal and haven't had failures. The only ones I had go bad were parts store generics.
Okay, I know that I'm not looking too sexy here so I must just be lucky.

Last edited:
It will say

When using this coil , must run ballast resistor with ignition points system

That coil will add zero benefit zero durability zero performance with an ignition points system

I've only has a couple of coils fail in all my years and never had an Accel or MSD coil crap out on me.
There are some coils that are supposed to me mounted UPright. Even those I've mounted upright and horizontal and haven't has failures.
Where are the grammar police when we need them.
:lol:

^^^ That DOG ^^^ ( Lower Left ) is far better looking.....

Those shorts should be pulled up a bit more, covering those nipples...

Can an MSD blaster coil be used with a point ignition system?
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?? YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT MIX MATCH IGNITION SYSTEM COMPONENTS AS THAT WILL LEAD TO OPERATING SYSTEM DIFFICULTIES. The coil could draw too much amperage causing premature point failure or ignition switch damage and must be complimented with the correct ballast resistor ohm-age to match the coil.......in spite of what your buddies have told you. Do your own research......just my opinion of course....ask @HALLIFAXHOPS if you prefer....
BOB RENTON

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?? YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT MIX MATCH IGNITION SYSTEM COMPONENTS AS THAT WILL LEAD TO OPERATING SYSTEM DIFFICULTIES. The coil could draw too much amperage causing premature point failure or ignition switch damage and must be complimented with the correct ballast resistor ohm-age to match the coil.......in spite of what your buddies have told you. Do your own research......just my opinion of course....ask @HALLIFAXHOPS if you prefer....
BOB RENTON
This is exactly the reason I went with the Accel 8140. 1.4Ω primary resistance with a 0.5Ω ballast resistor. About as close to stock specs as possible.

BOB RENTON
Thanks, I agree.

Am I lucky or just sexy?

View attachment 1598302

There are some coils that are supposed to me mounted UPright. Even those I've mounted upright and horizontal and haven't had failures. The only ones I had go bad were parts store generics.
Superman kicking in nuts.gif

:lol:

Am I lucky or just sexy?

View attachment 1598302

I "agreed" on all three statements. Especially the last :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back