• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold Case Radiator Hose Size Mismatch

EngineerDoug

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am using a Cold Case radiator to cool my 493 stroker - works very well BTW. The lower hose is a loose fit on the radiator. The radiator OD is 1 5/8", but the hose ID is 1 3/4". When I bought the radiator I called Cold Case and they indicated the radiator was correct for the application, and I only needed to tighten the stock size hose securely for it to seal.

So I have been running this setup for mebbe 1000 miles with no leaks, using a stock style wire hose clamp. The other day I changed my oil, and in the process of wrangling the filter out of the way, I pushed on the lower radiator hose and was greeted with a leak. The leak subsided once I released pressure on the hose. The bottom line is that I have been skating on thin ice all this time and did not know it.

I have one of those rubber hose reducer sleeves, as well as a constant tension hose clamp (like you would use on a turbocharger pressure side hose). My plan is to use both of these to ensure a seal I can trust.

Has anybody else confronted this issue? Is the rubber sleeve a reliable solution? Would I be advised to use any sort of sealant between the sleeve and hose itself?

Thanks!

someone did a very good comparison of the CC vs the Auto City radiators, and did comment on the smaller lower hose nipple. Sounds like they haven’t corrected it yet. In household plumbing I’ve run across this many times now in regard to the dishwasher drain connections. They were always 7/8”. Now many tailpieces come in 3/4”, making for a loose fit. I just tighten the crap out of the clamp and it works, albeit under no real pressure like your car. I definitely wouldn’t add a rubber shim in a pressure situation though.

I have the same issue. Called them and they basically said I was wrong on the correct hose size. They claim that's the size mopars are. They said just tighten it and it will be fine. So thats what I did and have had no issues. I still do not think it is right.

I have the same issue. Called them and they basically said I was wrong on the correct hose size. They claim that's the size mopars are. They said just tighten it and it will be fine. So thats what I did and have had no issues. I still do not think it is right.
cc IS FULL OF CRAP

You can buy silicone hose reducers or spin an adapter up in the lathe and have a join in the lower hose.
Thinking about it a rubber sleeve with 2 back to back hose clips would work. Use the worm gear clips.
Might be a trick finding something with a wall thickness 1/8.
The bulge on the end of the pipe is there mainly to stop the hose blowing off by not allowing the compressed clip to go over it.
The hose really needs to be a "good" fit size wise - you are right to be concerned about the hose blowing off.

Hello all,

I am using a Cold Case radiator to cool my 493 stroker - works very well BTW. The lower hose is a loose fit on the radiator. The radiator OD is 1 5/8", but the hose ID is 1 3/4". When I bought the radiator I called Cold Case and they indicated the radiator was correct for the application, and I only needed to tighten the stock size hose securely for it to seal.

So I have been running this setup for mebbe 1000 miles with no leaks, using a stock style wire hose clamp. The other day I changed my oil, and in the process of wrangling the filter out of the way, I pushed on the lower radiator hose and was greeted with a leak. The leak subsided once I released pressure on the hose. The bottom line is that I have been skating on thin ice all this time and did not know it.

I have one of those rubber hose reducer sleeves, as well as a constant tension hose clamp (like you would use on a turbocharger pressure side hose). My plan is to use both of these to ensure a seal I can trust.

Has anybody else confronted this issue? Is the rubber sleeve a reliable solution? Would I be advised to use any sort of sealant between the sleeve and hose itself?

Thanks!
Well I'm a little confused. I'm doind a radiator swap, upper is 1.5 and lower is 1.75 HOWEVER the correct lower radiator hose has the expanded 1.75 for the water pump side but is 1.5 on the radiator end? WTF?

Well I'm a little confused. I'm doind a radiator swap, upper is 1.5 and lower is 1.75 HOWEVER the correct lower radiator hose has the expanded 1.75 for the water pump side but is 1.5 on the radiator end? WTF?
I found my problem, there's a misprint on rockauto. I changed my search to Dodge and found the correct sized hose, under plymouth it gives me that 1.5" hose

All put back together and appears to be well sealed.
Part number for the hose reducer ( 1 3/4" to 1 5/8"):
Dayco 76963
Classic Industries K1232

Auto Transport Service
Back