• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confused microwave

ESOXER

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
So at work yesterday our shop microwave decided to be come the next Bruce Jenner, it didn't want to heat anymore or respond to any of the buttons and all the display said was chill. We figured it has an identity problem and wants to become a refrigerator
20180608_142925.jpg

The molecules have reversed! Anti-matter machine right there in your break room!

Cheaper to replace than repair. They unfortunately are built that way.

Cheaper to replace than repair. They unfortunately are built that way.

Not necessarily true. If you know anything about electronics and have a stash of parts around they can USUALLY be repaired quite cheaply. Just repaired my brother's microwave for next to nothing but an hour of my time and a spare switch. Repaired a couple of my own over the years as well.

Not necessarily true. If you know anything about electronics and have a stash of parts around they can USUALLY be repaired quite cheaply. Just repaired my brother's microwave for next to nothing but an hour of my time and a spare switch. Repaired a couple of my own over the years as well.
But you said the key word stash of parts and what is an hour of your time worth?

If the magnetron is working it is just the timer. The magnetron only has 2 positions, on & off. It works by varying the on and off cycles that are determined by the timer. If you have an electric cook top you know what I mean The higher the setting, the longer the on signal is.

But you said the key word stash of parts and what is an hour of your time worth?

If you are into electronics, you ALWAYS have a stash of spare parts. Parts are had by picking up the free microwaves that others throw away cause they don't know how to fix them.

$57/hr for the last 10 years or so, unless you're my brother then its free.

If the magnetron is working it is just the timer. ......... If you have an electric cook top you know what I mean The higher the setting, the longer the on signal is.

You are correct about the Magnetron, its the most expensive part of a microwave but I have spares of those too, and duty cycle is the term you're looking for. But often the magnetron is just fine and the problem is a cheap part somewhere else. For instance, the door interlock switch, may be other interlock switches as well, one or more overtemp sensors, etc.

Use it to sight in your rifle.
Then get one elsewhere. I don't think I've ever paid for a microwave, just went and picked them up everyone somebody else upgraded.

The recent problem I have recently is not the oven, it is the ovenware. Plates and bowls are being sold now as microwave compatible, but when I find the bowl heat up while the soup is still cold, I know that stuff is not made for a microwave oven, no matter what it says on the dish or box it came in.

So at work yesterday our shop microwave decided to be come the next Bruce Jenner, it didn't want to heat anymore or respond to any of the buttons and all the display said was chill. We figured it has an identity problem and wants to become a refrigeratorView attachment 614558
I'm glad I bought my microwave in the seventys, it still knows it's a microwave!! I got married in 1975, chrismas of 75 I bought my wife a microwave, damn thing weighs about 70 lbs, which means It don't get moved much, still using it 43 yrs later, GE brand, before Jack whats his name run GE off in the ditch. Dave.

My favorite microwave is the oldest. No digital panel and just two switches. One selects power (low, medium, high). The other is the wind up timer. That's it. I leave it on high, so just open door, insert food, close door, twist timer to how many minutes I want. Done. When it's done, I hear one pleasant, quick, semi-quiet bell.

None of this stuff: set this: "beep", set that: "beep", set something else:"beep", finally ready to set the food inside. (and if power goes out, reset the clock "beep, beep, beep, beep." Finally, when all is done, having to listen to more irritating noise: "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep". If only it was the "beep-beep" of the Road Runner, I would not mind so much.

RR.jpg

Dibbins, mine doesn't even have the heat ranges, timer and on switch. Dave.

Auto Transport Service
Back