• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conversion to spin on oil filter

TKMSavoy

Local time
11:57 AM
Reaction score
Changed the oil today on my 1962 Plymouth savoy 318 poly with the old canister type filter system. Been doing this for 35 years. I am so ready to switch to a spin on filter. Having a little trouble locating a vendor that supplies the conversion hardware. Any recommendations? All help is appreciated!

I'm not sure but, I believe all you need is the filter seal plate and the nipple w/hex to install the plate and gasket.
Mike

all you need is the filter seal plate and the nipple w/hex
This is my 64 Poly I thought I had a better photo but it can be seen. The LA small blocks are the same. I think Mancini sells the kit too.

IMG_1398.jpg

Thanks guys, I am going to check out Mancini and Hot Heads, will let you know how it goes

Thanks guys, I am going to check out Mancini and Hot Heads, will let you know how it goes
Thanks for the reminder. It took a while. I eventually ordered the kit from Mancini. The problem is most of the posts on differing forums are contradictory. Some claim that the adapter only fits a 318 LA and will NOT fit a 318 poly. In fact, that seemed to be the dominant opinion. Others were equally certain that the pressure differential between a spin on filter v. the original canister filter, wold cause the high pressure bypass valve to operate, resulting in no flow of oil to the spin on filter. After a great deal of research it became clear that based on the manufacture date my 318 poly did not have the bypass pressure valve. So I took a chance for the kit and it worked perfectly. I feel very confident you can all disregard the umpteen posts that claim a spin on filter adapter for a 318 will only fit an LA and not a poly. That is simply not true. I should point out that there were some post that agreed with this fact, but seem to be overwhelmed by others trying to make it a bit more complicated than it really is. Sorry for the delayed update.

Auto Transport Service
Back