• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible Top New Install 63 Fury

If I described the snafus with all the work I've had done I'd think people wouldn't believe me. My brother said I'm like the Charley Brown character with the dark cloud over his head: Engine, brake conversion, rear end, tranny, and now the top. Can't tell you the hours or weeks I've spent and thanks to some of my able buddies reworking stuff to get it right I had already paid to have done! There are numerous posts from me on the forum about these snags and helpful advice. I had decided to go ahead and spend big money to get it done rather than do it myself to save a couple years of working on it as I'm not a youngster anymore, a busy day job, helping my kids with their projects, and figured OK these guys are experts and will have the work done right. That's all, pay what they charge to do it - right. I never questioned their fees and reminded them repeatedly don't be in a rush to do the job I can wait. Problem? It's clear to me these shops I used coming highly recommended are in a hurry to get it in and out...it's not their car so the give a **** factor looms.

Glenwood - do you have any open gap at the base behind the rear windows like I posted with mine? Thanks, Ron

Not much of a gap Ron. The weather stripping needs replacing, but isn't in this year's budget! I went out and snapped a couple of pics for you. The top hugs the window trim fairly well and has a steel cable running through it.

IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4537.JPG

If I described the snafus with all the work I've had done I'd think people wouldn't believe me.
I share your frustrations. My disc conversion job turned into a frustrating 9 week nightmare due to wrong parts, missing parts, defective parts, etc. I was at the point of considering a low ball offer just to get the car towed out of my garage.

I've looked over your pictures again, and there might be some adjustment room on the hold down cables to snug up the fit at the top of the windows. The problem with this is latching the top might be difficult to impossible unless you have two other people to help you get it latched. You could try an experiment to tighten the hold down cables and get the top latched (with assistance). Then let the sun try to form the top a bit better and don't put the top down for several weeks. It might work.

Like I mentioned before, there is a difference in top quality (just like there is a difference in parts quality for these cars). If the shop has to eat this top I would at least offer to pay any difference to get a Robbins top. On my 1990 LeBaron the Robbins top fit was so much better than the original, but the Robbins top was almost double the price of a generic replacement.

Keep us updated. Good Luck.

Interesting comments on a cable. Mine doesn't have one except running from the rear bow on each side back toward front of trunk in wheel area. Can't locate exact point with top well in place. Do you have a cable running along the top of windows?
Thx Ron

The hold cables are what pulls the top (on each side) down when it is latched. Not sure on your car, but on the LeBaron the hold down cables are run through loops in the top material about an inch about the area of the side window's top.
On my LeBaron, the bows hold the top to the frame, and the sides of the top have the hold down cables (which run from the trunk area to the latch+front bow).

Top hold down cables
Printable
Top hold down cables (also known as side tension cables) are located on the outer edges of your convertible top, they are there to keep the top material from flapping or fluttering when driving down the road, they also help keep the top from shrinking up from the side windows as the top gets older. If you notice your convertible top is making more noise when driving down the road or you are considering installing a new top then make sure you install new top hold down cables, it is a small price to pay to know your top is done right. All of our cables are made for specific vehicles and have the proper brackets and mounts installed just like the factory cables, sold as a pair.

Some hold down cables have an adjustment block, and others do not. Remember my disclaimer; don't claim to be convertible top expert. Just helped install a few here and there.

The only cables on my top are in the back attached to rear-most bow as I photo' d. There must have been a later top design perhaps...

20170616_192031.jpg

Ron,
Here are a few pictures of the top on my 63 Fury. It's been on the car for 15 years that I know of. I've had the top down for the last few days but within a couple of hours those little wrinkles will disappear.

DSCN0718.JPG DSCN0719.JPG DSCN0720.JPG DSCN0721.JPG DSCN0722.JPG

My 66 Satellite got a new top in 1984. It was a little high around the top of windows. In 2004 decided to put a new one on. Talked to the place who put the first one on and they didn't seem that interested. They went toward mobile glass replacement, thank god. Went to another place and left the car there for replacing top. Next day I get a call he said the guy who did the top before didn't put in cables that hold the sides down along the top of windows. He figured the guy didn't have any and slapped it together. They were cheap, he charged me a small amount, can't remember.
Bet your car should have them. Tough sometimes to find people who'll do something right. Not sure if this is the cable but I think so. Cover cable.

cable.PNG

Last edited:
I agree with Fran Blacker. I bet a cable adjustment would be a big improvement and maybe even a fix.
Have you mentioned hold down cable adjustment to the shop?

It appears that there could have been a redesign of the top frame after '63 as I don't have cables as shown in the diagram; just the ones I pictured above. And have no idea how they're supposed to work; they don't show in my factory service manual either for adjusting the top. Coloradodave your gap is like the gap I used to have on my old top - a little gap - with the new top it's like twice as large if you saw my earlier pic of this. I used to wonder about the opening as it certainly doesn't give a water tight area. Your top also covers a good degree of the top channel over the windows where mine doesn't. Way it is now, all I need to do is if lift the edge a little and can reach right into the inside of car over the top rail. Suppose if there's a place out there that knows how to adjust the frame it could make the fit a little better. There are numerous adjustments that can be made. Still holding on the top guy getting back to me...

My dad's 1972 Catalina, my friends 1970 vw bug, and my 1991 lebaron convertible all had hold down cables.

Call Hydro E Lectric in Florida. They will know for certain if you have hold down cables. I bet you do, and if you don't you should.

Thanks will do.

Thanks will do.

My 63 Fury top only has the one cable at the rear-most top bow on each side. There are no cables or pockets for cables running the length of the top over the windows.

This was the design back when...must have changed it couple years later. The cable has slack in it with top up. Same with your cables? Thx

Finding a video of a top install on a 63 Fury no less (I think someone had sent this earlier) there IS reference and quick visual to others cables. This is at the 5:15 mark on the 6 minute clip. I don't have these cables and don't think I ever did. I find no screw holes for them except two spots that "could be" one end connection point; but not for other end. The clip doesn't mention what the cables attach to but could have something to do with the channels pulling together...no info on any connection to the top itself. So Bill and Fran you're correct but Dave also said he has no cables like this either...

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/tips-for-replacing-your-b-body-convertible-top-like-a-pro/

Auto Transport Service
Back