• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convertible Top New Install 63 Fury

OKAY! I'd call Hydo E Lectric and ask if they know where the hold down cables mount. They are convertible top experts!

On my Dad's Catalina, there was a two piece block of metal about the size of an ice cube in the trunk. It had a bolt running through the center and mounted near the package tray. A small "L" shape slot in the block adjusted the hold down cable tension.

You've done the research, but I still think it is time to call the installer and discuss hold down cables.

Ron,
My rear tension cables are taut with no slack. I watched the video, but again, my top doesn't have provisions for those cables and it doesn't 'flap' at speed. Maybe it was an 'early' car verses 'late' car? Who knows...

Whatever happened to the issues with your top?

The shop talked with their material supplier and the supplier is providing a new top; I have to wait a couple weeks to take it back in for replacement...will see how this round goes...

Still effing around with the top and supposed to go in next week for replacement; but have deep concerns with this guy's ability to do it right on the 2nd try. Some mysteries to solve. First is the right rear cable was left broken and the guy decided to put a screw in it to hold the loop in place using an incorrect screw. Since he tightened it rather than leave loose enough to swivel as intended, the end of the loop poked a hole in the top. Well a new top to be put on anyway. Question: How do the cables come off the car for replacement? Anyone know? Second: There are supposed to be side tension cables; but mine never had them far as I can determine and recall others having the same car not having them either. There's a utube clip showing a top install on a '63 Fury and it's said the car didn't have them so they put them on. Problem is I have no clue how they're supposed to work. See no info about how they interconnect like with the top to tension the top along the upper rails above windows. If anyone knows appreciate hearing! Thx

The hold down cables mount either to the front bow, or on a block that the latches are attached. The hold down cables are mounted below the rear backlite, or to each ram mount.

The top has fabric loops, or fabric with eyelets that the hold down cables run through.

The hole punched in your top is not acceptable and you need to make that clear to the installer when you return.

Did you ever contact Hydro E Lectric and ask their opinion on whether your car has, or needs hold down cables?

I tried calling today but too late so will try tomorrow. Thx

1962's have the short cables that go from the rear bow to the sides of wheel tubs(just like yours ).1963 on was a different longer cable arrangement.
There is a lot of info in the manual for adjusting the top .
I'd say the installer didn't have the frame adjusted correctly before installing.
How's the condition of your front header seal 'track' (holder)? Usually they are rusted out

As afar as the cable ...There is a loop with a screw on the frame (so it can swivel as the top moves ) the other end is a long thread with the cable swaged too it . It screws into the steel body of the car ( around the side of the wheel tub.?)
You must remove the screw & eyelet to adjust the tension by twisting the cable ,thereby screwing the threaded end into or out of the bodywork.re attach the eyelet with screw.
This cable stops the rear frame(bow) from moving forward when the top is raised & tensioned
Maybe , on yours,this bow needs to be moved back(adjust cables ) to take tension off the top?

Last edited:
I would say these cables also tension the rear bow so that when the rear window panel is unzipped & removed ,it doesn't put undue stress on the sailpanels of the top

Yes was wondering how those rear wires come off since one is broke looking where it is, difficult to access looking like a bolt is maybe recessed and the housing comes out with wire unless the press fit is somehow released. Nothing I can find in my factory manual about this.

No wire mentioned in the manual ...I think there is a pic of the wire only.
The manual is more for adjusting the top ...used before the new top is attached

There's some trick to this but problem is getting a good look at this housing and access without pulling more muscles... Next is some mirror use!

Ron,
Here you go. The bottom of the cable is threaded into a nut attached to the body. To adjust, you remove the top screw and spin the cable to loosen or tighten it.
DSCN0096.JPG
DSCN0094.JPG DSCN0098.JPG

The cable connection is different on mine having a pressed fitting into the bracket. Some mirror work I hope will show me how it's affixed so I can take it out. There's what looks like an access hole on the top of the housing; a bolt or screw in there or a retainer clip I suppose...

Ply Top Cable 1.jpg

Talked to Hydro E but the tech guy apparently wasn't interested in talking with me relaying a message to the front desk to say he doesn't know how the cables are removed; well bought a cable from them so I can see how it looks and hope it works once I figure out removing the old one.

Sorry to send you down a rabbit hole. In the past Hydro E have been a big help to me. I guess I'm not surprised as customer service seems to have gone away nowadays everywhere.

And in my case some of the places I've taken car in for expert work at expert prices just missing some of the expert quality...the gist was saving me time but all the rework I've done wonder how much time I "saved"!

Ron,
I bought all my convertible top parts , including cylinders and pump from: Convertible Service (convertibleparts.com). Their technical information number is: 626-285-2255. They were very helpful. Good luck.

Thanks will give them a call.

Auto Transport Service
Back