• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolant leak

Doug Larsson

Local time
5:57 PM
Reaction score
I've got headman headers and the back passenger one is leaking coolant where the bolt is. Will this thread sealer work to stop the leaking ? It says up to 400 deg I'm thinking I need some thing better.

20170925_191939.jpg

Did you seal the rear stud when it was installed? Some of the studs are in the water passage, and require a sealant. Since that sealant is in the block, it shouldn't see near 400 so that should be fine.

The service manual suggest that is what you do if the stud comes out when replacing the exhaust manifold. it worked when I removed and replaced mine on the 318.

I've always used Permatex #2 on the manifold studs and header bolts. They will require tightening after a few heat cycles and this will stay pliable enough not to break the seal. Used it for years. Also on intake manifold bolts to seal the threads from oil seepage.
91EwjhJmkqL._SL1500_.jpg

There's no studs on mine just header bolts I've thought about getting a longer bolt with the thread sealer just make sure more threads are sealed.At one time it might of had studs but not when I had them removed and put headers on them.

Wedge heads have exhaust bolts that go into the water jacket.Drain the rad and remove the bolts one at a time and put some silicone on the cleaned bolt and reinstall.The other are not leaking,,,,,,,,,,YET!

Wedge heads have exhaust bolts that go into the water jacket.Drain the rad and remove the bolts one at a time and put some silicone on the cleaned bolt and reinstall.The other are not leaking,,,,,,,,,,YET!
No It just that one .

Depending what heads you have,,,,,there is more than one,like all of them!!
I'm not sure what heads I have I should look for some numbers I guess it's just a driver nothing real special.

Thank you for the replies and insight it's greatly appreciated .

Auto Transport Service
Back