• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coolest build ever!

Topline

Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
I say coolest build ever because this is my first Mopar restoration. I am learning as I go and soaking up information. I have been one year in the project so far so I will get up to date In several posts. I loaded my family in the pickup and went on an 18 hour round trip. We battled an october snow storm going into yellowstone park and nearly didn't make it up the steep pass. Unfortunately the Satellite had to sit for one year while I built the shop.

FB_IMG_1506909477482.jpg

Welcome from Mid-Michigan. Looks like a good car to start with. Good luck with the restoration.

Finally got the shop built so I could get serious. We pulled out the locked up 400 and auto 727. When I tore the motor down it was completely out of oil and had three rods welded to the crank. The block would take a great deal of milling ( like opening up the mains for a 440 crank). I want to get some more knowledge before build a stroker so I found another 400 and tore it down. I had it bored 30 over, milled the top of the block, milled the heads, and intake. Goal was a modest 8:1 comp. Power sealed flat top pistons with an r.v. cam and solid lifters. I may have done it a little backwards by building the motor first. Finally it is topped off with an Edelbrock 750 4 Barrell.

FB_IMG_1506908482971.jpg FB_IMG_1506908428889.jpg FB_IMG_1506912935228.jpg

Motor done and bagged, I completely dismantled the satty. Bags and shelves full of parts. I blasted and repainted the k frame, and replaced all the bushings. Yeah everything that I read about the lower control arm bushings was true. That was a struggle.. the front end is now rebuilt, painted and waiting with the motor. Engine compartment is blasted and sprayed in self etch.

IMG_20170903_124946_446.jpg KIMG0134.JPG

Oh SNAPP!! I thought this was a thread about my car....lol. Seriously though, nice car and looks like you got it moving the right direction...welcome to FBBO from Vermont! Ghost.

Welcome to FBBO - looks like you have a sweet project car on your hands. Enjoy the process.... Then the car...

Rear driver's side quarter surgery. I had to tear out remains of a previous attempt that included galvanized coil metal, sheetrock screws, stucco mesh and 3/4" of bondo. The trunk extension was also rusted away along with the panel. Ordered a new patch panel and built a new extension. After some self taught welding lessons I got to work. Not to bad for my first patch panel.

KIMG0131.JPG KIMG0136.JPG KIMG0137.JPG KIMG0138.JPG

Wow, I had a twin to that car. Good luck with your build. I've always had a soft-spot for 71-72 b-body cars.

The satellite is now rust free! I am now ready to paint the engine compartment, and jambs. I am curious on opinions about building the sat. Into a RR. Call it a clone or tribute. It came with an extra RR hood which is going on. I wasn't thinking clone. I just love the look and since I have the hood why not? Right.. so do I replace badges, scripts etc.. and go full clone or leave it a satellite with the RR hood?

Cool car! I know where it came from. The dog in the photo, his name is Rosco. I live about 4 miles away from the people who owned that car. Glad to see it being saved!

Cool car! I know where it came from. The dog in the photo, his name is Rosco. I live about 4 miles away from the people who owned that car. Glad to see it being saved!
I could make many trips to that yard. My only regret is that I didn't take a bigger trailer when I went to pick it up.

I could make many trips to that yard. My only regret is that I didn't take a bigger trailer when I went to pick it up.
Yeah it's great. They're all my cousins! Lots of cool cars and parts out there.

The satellite is now rust free! I am now ready to paint the engine compartment, and jambs. I am curious on opinions about building the sat. Into a RR. Call it a clone or tribute. It came with an extra RR hood which is going on. I wasn't thinking clone. I just love the look and since I have the hood why not? Right.. so do I replace badges, scripts etc.. and go full clone or leave it a satellite with the RR hood?
There are a lot of people that wish they could afford an old mopar of any kind. Be proud of it being a Satellite instead of pretending it is something it's not. Throw the hood on and enjoy your big block Mopar!! Lookin good so far!

The anticipation to put some color on has been killing me. Shot the engine compartment, firewall and jambs. What do you think about this color?

KIMG0157.JPG KIMG0155.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back