• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct Oil Pan/Pickup for 70 B-Body 440 Six Pack?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
What is the correct oil pan (6 qt?) for a 1970 Road Runner with a 440 six pack (skid plate on engine cross-member). What is the correct oil pickup tube?

Also, does anyone know a good aftermarket pan/pickup for this application at a reasonable price?

THANKS!

I almost 100% sure the Hemi And 440 6 pac had the same pan. No numbers on it.
Milidon made this one.

004.JPG

3/8 tube but if you are going to a mechanical cam and going to rev it up go to 1/2 or dual feed external if racing
also lighter rods and pistons will make it rev like a fuelie sbc

the 6qt front sump pan with a 3/8" pipe pick-up.

Hey lewtot184, do you know if I need a "402" pan (or some other number) if I go the stock pan route? If I do go "stock-style", how do I identify the longer six-pack 3/8" oil pickup that will match up with it?

I am building a "100% street, low rpm, long-distance cruiser" engine, so I don't plan to drill out the pickup hole like my current engine.... I just don't think I need it for 4500rpm max.

My "plan B" would probably be another Milodon 30761B pan (I'm running one now) if Milodon makes a 3/8" pickup tube the correct length. I'm just looking to stay as cheap as I possibly can on this "100% street" motor so my wife won't kick me out of the house & trying to buy everything used except cam/pistons.

I almost 100% sure the Hemi And 440 6 pac had the same pan. No numbers on it.
Milidon made this one.

View attachment 561752

Hey Brian, I think that's the pan I'm running now. Just a heads up, I tried to run that Milodon pan with a factory hemi 1/2" pickup tube & it wouldn't clear. It seems like you have to buy pans/pickups in "sets", so I went with a 1/2" Milodon pickup in my current motor.

I still have that factory hemi 1/2" pickup somewhere if somebody is looking for one & has a factory hemi/six pack pan, fyi.

That's odd because my friend had a factory pan and I had to look at it to make sure it was the one I needed for this hemi we were doing and when I got it from milidon we put them side by side and they looked identical. The pick up did come real close to the pan even with the 2 gaskets and windage tray so I took a tap and went in a turn and that gave me the extra clearance I was looking for. I think they make them a little long so you can set your gap better by threading the pipe or block or both.

Auto Transport Service
Back