• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Credit card hacked.........

mmissile

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
We just got a call from our bank, that our CC was denied by our bank. It was for online-sales to Walmart for well over a grand. In hindsight, I know how this happened. When I went to Okemos Mi. to pick up my race-engine, I stopped at a Speedway gas station to fill up the dually with diesel. I flaked it off, but noticed the pump didn't ask me for any personal-info or if I wanted a receipt[DUH!!..HELLO?]. There was a fuckin skimmer in the pump! Now I'll be checking every gas-pump I ever use. Just an FYI to be more observant than I was.
The reason the bank denied it, was they noticed we had never purchased anything at Walmart. Good for them, and thanks.

Last edited:
We just got a call from our bank, that our CC was denied by our bank. It was for online-sales to Walmart for well over a grand. In hindsight, I know how this happened. When I went to Okemos Mi. to pick up my race-engine, I stopped at a Speedway gas station to fill up the dually with diesel. I flaked it off, but noticed the pump didn't ask me for any personal-info or if I wanted a receipt[DUH!!..HELLO?]. There was a fuckin skimmer in the pump! Now I'll be checking every gas-pump I ever use. Just an FYI to be more observant than I was.
Holy **** Man! Is Your cc company going to back You up....wouldn't the gas station be liable?

That sucks. I had a CC i just used in Costco, no were else and that card was hacked. Then two months in a row some years later a card we use for grocery/gas/other items hacked. There was a receipt on the bill for a jewelry store in South Korea. How do they get away with this ****?

The charge/purchase was denied, due to their good system of possible fraudulent activity.

I'm like nuns & 7-up with credit.
"Never had it, Never will"
These times, it's risky just having valid identification.

Unfortunately, with all the car parts I buy, and other non-local items....it's a needed evil.

I have been treated very well by my bank several times.

Once I had 3K of charges ($800 per pop) at quick mart type stores. (lots of big gulps for someone:))
I called the bank and they said no problem. They cleared the charges and gave me a new CC number.
However I did try to use another of my cards at an out of state hotel and it was denied until I called them to make sure it was me using the card.

Friggin crooks. I make it habit to wiggle the card reader and most places to see if there is a unit on there or not...but you can't catch em all!

This is coming to be a massive problem. About all we do revolves around electronic transfer of funds. Utility bills, insurance,grocery store all connected. The debit card ties directly to your checking or savings account numbers. It's really hard to get this stuff reversed once it lands even if fraud. Dave

I have been treated very well by my bank several times.

Once I had 3K of charges ($800 per pop) at quick mart type stores. (lots of big gulps for someone:))
I called the bank and they said no problem. They cleared the charges and gave me a new CC number.
However I did try to use another of my cards at an out of state hotel and it was denied until I called them to make sure it was me using the card.
Inconvenience well worth the security.
I trip when I see people making less than 5.00 purchases with cards in convenience & liquor stores.

With the portable card readers that the crooks have, you have to watch your wallet doesn't get scanned.

This is coming to be a massive problem. About all we do revolves around electronic transfer of funds. Utility bills, insurance,grocery store all connected. The debit card ties directly to your checking or savings account numbers. It's really hard to get this stuff reversed once it lands even if fraud. Dave

I agree and NEVER use a debit card for that reason. A credit card is just as easy to use (or more so) than a debit card.

Yeah, that sucks missile. My son has had his card skimmed a couple times in the last couple years around the Auburn Hills/Troy areas. Our credit union was on top of it pretty quickly. They spotted transactions in several states with not much time between them and put a stop to it real quick. The tracking is quick and sophisticated nowadays and many of the financial institutes can be alerted very quickly to possible fraud transactions. I'd recommend using one of the reloadable Speedway cards or use cash. I've gone back to using cash much more the past couple years. It also keeps me from getting into credit card trouble.

Also, be careful of scam emails that are supposedly from your bank saying your debit/credit card has been frozen or deactivated. Then ask you to click on the link to contact them. The links are usually very bad.

Just curious mmissile, where were you getting your race-engine from?

Scott Brown at Competition Components. We go way back....

If I can, I always use cash. I got lazy, cause it was raining.

The reason the bank denied it, was they noticed we had never purchased anything at Walmart. Good for them, and thanks.
So if it asks for a zip code it's ok? Still safer than a debit card on the road right?

Talking about pumps, I went to use one, one night and I noticed the last person didn't quite hang up the nozzle correctly. All I had to do was pick it out of the holder and fill my car up. We'll that's not me so I hung it up all the way and started all over again. Saved someone some money!

When you get done useing the pump, make sure it's hung up correctly, see that the screen is ready for the next customer and hit "clear" or "cancel" before walking away.

I do the same with ATMs, card readers at the checkout counter, ect. Hit the clear or cancel before walking away. The cashier can make transactions after you leave.

When buying gift cards, grab one a couple of cards back, because the ones in the front could have been scanned. Been there, done that! Hopefully they have fixed that problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back