• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossing the big hurdle - getting a title!!!!!!!!!

68chargerpilot

Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score
My father bought a '68 Blue 318 charger brand new. I was about a year old. I still have it. It was left outside for so long its only good as a parts car today. I have removed most of whats worth anything from it and brought it in from the weather. My mother and a dump truck had a date with destiny on the late 70s in that car. She was side swiped on a narrow road flattening the driver side completely. The dump truck belonged to the local city we lived in at the time and the police claimed they couldn't determine who was a fault so each went their own way. Our charger got the short end of that stick! That car had to have been assembled on a Friday or Monday because it rusted bad and FAAAAAST even before the accident.

Fast forward to the early 80s. I was about 14 yrs old. My dad spotted a Burgundy white top 68 383 charger on the back of a farm along I 95 north of Richmond Va. By the time he tracked it down it had been sold to a junk yard because it had been hit in the right rear qtr panel right in the wheel well. It was driven to the junk yard!!! By the time it was located in the junk yard the interior had been pulled out. Driver door and front right fender sold. The junk yard fork lift had hit it in the right rear end but not so bad as to damage the tail lite. He bought it anyways. Back then no body cared about paperwork so we paid the money and left with only a simple sales slip that says burgundy parts car.....no title. He bought it with the idea of transferring everything from his to this one from the junk yard.

This 383 car has been setting in my family garage for over 35 years. Its the most rust free non restored 68 charger you will find anywhere on the east coast. It just has some bent metal.

I have always dreamed of restoring this car but the title issue kept me from it. The house is now up for sale so the issue has finally come to a head. Sell it or restore it!!!! I did a search for "get an old car title" and found the company in Maine. I have spoken to the guy and he said he can help me for $895. All things considered thats not much but i would still rather not pay it if I could do it on my own. ITS paperwork----if he can fill it out so can I. The car and house are in Va. The Va DMV has no records. Its been too long. I have written them to inquire. I now live in SC. Does anyone have a suggestion? Anyone ever deal with this company/guy?

Ever since i was a young teenager i have dreamed of driving that car. I really want to do this. My father is no longer here and my son wants do this as well.

383 4 barrel high performance vin
Burgundy paint with white top
Front disk brakes, factory air, white interior.

you are referring to Mainly title. he is very honest, and you will get a Title to your car. I did the same thing with my GTX,and within a couple months you will have a Title. The cost is miniscule as compared to the value of the car. Chargers are worth the trouble.

Get that title! It'll definitely be worth it for a car with minimal rust! Oh, and :xscuseless:

:welcome: aboard!

I used to live in Va., bought a Challenger from a garage that had done some work on it. The original owner died, so the shop held on to it. I came along and wanted to buy the car, a bank owned the car. The bank ended up giving the shop the car without a title. I went to Richmond DMV, asked to get a title with the shops bill of sale. The DMV did a title search, I owned the car in two weeks. It’s worth the effort to contact the DMV in Richmond first, tell them what happened and show them the paperwork. It might work.

Good luck!

But first, post pictures of that baby!

Check with the motor vehicle department in your state to see what they require..hopefully, the people there are not the brainless idiots we have here in NJ.

Not sure about SC or Be, but here you can file for a bonded title.
I think it's about $250 and what it does is basically gives anyone with proof 2 years to stake a claim. If no one files a claim against it you are issued a new blue title.
Now I'm not sure what you obligations are or the financial obligation of the person claiming it so I would do my research to protect yourself.

Agree with the above comments, aside from your time & aggravation; I'd have to believe way cheaper than $895 they want.

In N.C. a bonded title is for 1 year, then the DMV generates a new clean title. Definitely check with S.C. before you spend the money. Aside from some of your precious time, it might not cost all that much.
Oh, and we need PICS!!!

Welcome to FBBO from warm & sunny NorCal Sierra's

good luck with the 68 Charger

Update

I have found the only reasonable way to get my title back. The state of Vermont. Here is how.
Vermont doesn't issue titles on vehicles over 15 years old. They only issue registration. They will register a vehicle out of state. You don't need a VT drivers licence. The car doesn't need to be in the state at any time. The parties involved don't need to reside in the state. All can be done through the mail.

1 form VT -10 vin verification must be completed.
2 form VD-119 must be completed.

$76.00 done by mail.

Where it may hang up is the taxes. If you can't prove who the prior owner was and therefore the taxes were paid then you pay 6% of the cars book value.

My 68 Charger 383 has a book value of $8000.
My mom is gifting me the car but since it came from a junk yard 35 years ago we have no way to show she ever owned it nor paid taxes on it.

I have to pay 534.00 for the taxes plus the 76.00 to get an out of state registration that I then take to my state (SC) and turn into a title. By the time im done i will probably pay 900.00 which is what many of these title companies charge to get your title back. Argh

Figured I would share this with you all.

All you can do is research, I found talking to local DMV offices to be a waste of time but calling the main office resulted in much better responses. In my case here in Ohio I just filed for a court ordered title, don't know if any other state's do this? I think the whole thing cost less than $200.

You go to the court and tell them what it is your seeking, they give you papers to fill out that the Judge reviews. If they approve then you get an insection receipt and take it to a trooper inspection station where they determine if it is indeed stolen. If all is good get your title and your done. I will add that at least in Ohio the Troopers are the only ones who can do extensive checks to determine if a car is stolen, most other branches only go back 5-7 years.

I like the Maine title option myself if it's legit. With the court order they don't have to approve it nor does the Trooper station, to many what if's for me. I really don't know why there isn't a standard way of going about this that's more straight forward? There's tons of abandoned old cars that could be put on the road again if there was an easy way... they make money and we get our cars?

All you can do is research, I found talking to local DMV offices to be a waste of time but calling the main office resulted in much better responses. In my case here in Ohio I just filed for a court ordered title, don't know if any other state's do this? I think the whole thing cost less than $200.

You go to the court and tell them what it is your seeking, they give you papers to fill out that the Judge reviews. If they approve then you get an insection receipt and take it to a trooper inspection station where they determine if it is indeed stolen. If all is good get your title and your done. I will add that at least in Ohio the Troopers are the only ones who can do extensive checks to determine if a car is stolen, most other branches only go back 5-7 years.

I like the Maine title option myself if it's legit. With the court order they don't have to approve it nor does the Trooper station, to many what if's for me. I really don't know why there isn't a standard way of going about this that's more straight forward? There's tons of abandoned old cars that could be put on the road again if there was an easy way... they make money and we get our cars?
What do you mean about the Maine title option. Explain if you would please.

What do you mean about the Maine title option. Explain if you would please.

I was referring to the one you mentioned. To me it just seams odd that someone can pull a title out of thin air for X amount of $$? I know they pull it off by using states that only require a bill of sale then transfer it to another state.. just seams odd to me. The DMV would have you believe that the car is legally still whomever titled it last so I just don't understand the process.

The DMV being a waste of time I can conquer with. Need to find a mom and pop notary service and asked them. Here is Louisiana our DMV director happens to be a car guy. He has made it super eas here on classic cars. Bill of sale,letter showing membership to a car club,and the vechicle cant be currently in louisianas DMV system. Must be inspected by the state police and bingo. Title in your name. No cost at all. Other than taxes and registration fees. Just got to find the right people to ask.

The DMV being a waste of time I can conquer with. Need to find a mom and pop notary service and asked them. Here is Louisiana our DMV director happens to be a car guy. He has made it super eas here on classic cars. Bill of sale,letter showing membership to a car club,and the vechicle cant be currently in louisianas DMV system. Must be inspected by the state police and bingo. Title in your name. No cost at all. Other than taxes and registration fees. Just got to find the right people to ask.
Wow, that's awesome!! We need to adopt that nationwide.

It would be good and bad. I see the loop holes. But it allows a lot of these cars and trucks a chance to be fixed by the young guys.

Auto Transport Service
Back