• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crucial decision!

bobtile

Local time
4:31 AM
Reaction score
What color should I paint my block?

not black, something you can see/identify leaks easily

Hemi Orange is always a decent choice

Pick one.
1969-plymouth-pc.jpg

I think you used muriatic acid instead of clear.

I'd go with period correct. That should be "Race Hemi Orange".

It's what I'm useing on my '67 440 going in my '62 Dodge. Going for the nostalgic look!

20161102_113212.jpg

Bob, I'd think it would be hard not to paint it orange but on the other hand if you want to get jiggy with it then that's ok too. Oh yeah, not rainbow though,unless...........:lol:

What color should I paint my block?

I saw a picture of one of the B-Body Member's motor the other day on this site...It was Malex's motor in the thread "Race Fuel-What's Best"
....the block was painted "aluminum color" and to me it kinda simulated the INDY MAX ALUMINUM BLOCK in appearance.
It looked pretty cool with its Aluminum Heads, Aluminum Intake, Aluminum Water Pump and Indy Aluminum Valve Covers.
Check it out...way different than Hemi Orange (which is what I painted my block).
Don't paint in black. Period.

silver motor.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a picture of one of the B-Body Member's motor the other day on this site...It was Malex's motor in the thread "Race Fuel-What's Best"
....the block was painted "aluminum color" and to me it kinda simulated the INDY MAX ALUMINUM BLOCK in appearance.
It looked pretty cool with its Aluminum Heads, Aluminum Intake, Aluminum Water Pump and Indy Aluminum Valve Covers.
Check it out...way different than Hemi Orange (which is what I painted my block).
Don't paint in black. Period.

View attachment 396701
That does look pretty cool in that color.
Black is definitely out. Thats what I had before. It never did grow on me.

I'm partial to black block, and aluminum parts.

2exvl28.jpg

6z2b9v.jpg

24yp9xw.jpg

One of the coolest cars I ever seen in my life, Seen it at a show in person, car is amazing. Most cars I have seen in person that were built on TV have been kind of let downs (I have seen a handful of graveyards and I am not impressed at all), but this car and the foose impala, were both amazing in attention to detail, quality, and innovation. Coolest motor color I ever seen, a lot had to do with it being unexpected, its such a classy car and then this 1000hp green monster lies beneath, just genius...
upload_2017-2-16_8-44-46.png

As for the color of your motor, I see it this way. you have choices, start by listing them and narrowing them.

1-correct (what color was she factory, some times you have 2 choices, we did a 70rr that would have had an orange motor, but it had an older 440 which was blue, so he decided to keep the motor original to the motor and do it blue, even though the car had an orange motor)

2- same color as the car, stripes, or interior, I did a black charger with burnt orange gut, and painted the motor burnt orange, looked cool, I also did a plum crazy dart with a plum crazy 383 in it, and last year at ohio nationals I seen a pink chally with pink 340 in it and black engine bay, looked cool...

3-Off the wall, you have a White car with black interior, and do a Bright yellow motor.

4- red white and blue, I hated this car, a friend of mine did it, I have a photo of it I can probably take a picture of and post it, I have to find it, he showed the car so some may know it, it was at Carlisle for a few years in a row- Red 1969 charger, with white interior, and Blue motor, tranny, rear end, driveshaft. Red white and blue car, I hated it, looked like super man colors under the hood.

5-general lee, I seen a general lee painted motor lol, I never seen it in the car, but I seen it on the stand. It was orange, with white lines all over the corners, like outlined, then it had "01" valve covers and confederate flag air cleaner. I'm not sure if that motor ever made it into a car it was a fully built 440 with a 6 pack, but I think the guy had it done for a show piece for his showroom floor, he owned a car dealership in New Hampshire on the mass line. When I seen the motor it was on a matching painted engine stand. Pretty cool idea, but I think I would rather have a hemi in my show room (If I had a dealer ship), there is a Toyota dealership in mass and the owner used to own a dodge dealership, when he had the dodge brand he had a hemi engine all setup to run on an engine stand, he could start it up in the building, it was cool, he also had a viper, and now its funny because that race viper is in the Toyota dealerships showroom, its a real race car the owner actually races...

maybe that will help confuse your decision some... After reading that post maybe just paint it black :)

My car will be Viper silver, I was thinking about matching the motor (Viper Silver) Then the usual aluminum pieces, Indy Cast Valve covers, Indy Valley pan, Indy intake also paint matched. what does everyone think about painting base clear on an engine, just like the body? Or should it be a single stage paint? Sorry to highjack but seemed to fit the thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back