• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cut Outs who runs them and which are better?

i ran them up until 4 months ago, i had cheap brand i think they were trans dapt or something after about 1000 miles they loosened up and opened a little so the exhaust got really noisy, i took them off.

QTP would be one of the best but they are pricey

I had the exhaust/muffler shop make mine from scratch. I had them go from my 3" header collectors to 3" cutouts and then after the cutouts, reduce down to 2.5" to match up with the rest of my system. That way when they are open it's just like coming out of 3" open header collectors.

The shop I took them to are more of a high performance exhaust shop, not a Midas chain. They had everything they needed to do it up from scratch on the spot.

QTP's. Quick time performance. Electric. Reliable for years even after a high speed compression slam on route 66. Put the switch in a convenient place easy to reach. They were in the mid price range when purchased, with McCords being less.

I dont run any on my 63 Sport Fury and I thought about the factory ones the Max Wedge had. But I love the sound of a nice solid flat tappet through the sound of a closed exh system. So I went with the TTI 3" X-pipe and Dyno-Max Ultra-Flow mufflers since they look to be about straight through. I just race through the pipes which is the full exh system. But that way I can tell someone what my car runs just the way I drive it. Ron

100_1898_zpsc2099fc2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking at a set of Doug's Headers Electric Cutouts. The design seems to eliminate any future issues with a leaky exhaust coming from the cutouts. After reading the reviews and complaints about the plastic gears I am now looking at QTP.

QTP electric cut outs!!!! I love mine, adjustable from being fully closed to all the way open (running open headers), and anywhere in between. Little toggle switch is under the dash. Best investment ever!!! Got mine from an Ebay seller. I'm running the 3" ones as I have 3" exhaust. Should also get turn downs so you don't burn the interior carpet.

Are there any other cut-outs (other than Doug's) with a sliding door? QTPs look nice but I'm not sure how the butterfly door will seal 5 years down the road.

Are there any other cut-outs (other than Doug's) with a sliding door? QTPs look nice but I'm not sure how the butterfly door will seal 5 years down the road.
Not selling them -but- QTP's have been reliable for 7 years. No leaks. Used often.

If you follow the maintenance procedures (keeping the butterflys lubed) they should be fine. Think the butterfly assembly is either aircraft grade aluminum or stainless.

I'm getting the QTP's as well. But I will get the wireless model.

I have been researching them for a while and their latest versions have even better electric motors than their earlier ones.

So coming to the of wiring for cut outs, i see above from several years ago QTP has wireless ones, wondering on quality of that one and any other new items that have hit the market that anyone has had good luck with. I like the looks of the oval ones that a cut into the sides of the exhaust prior to muffler, without a big exhaust "t" fabbed into the system, but wondering about obstructing exhaust flow. any recommendations, thanks, Don.

I prefer Doug’s guillotine style opposed to the butterfly style

Classic Industries 25% off orders until Dec 3rd on orders over $279 code FLK17. This will take you to cut outs.

https://www.classicindustries.com/p...MIjPGo1ofn1wIVD6rsCh2cjg6hEAQYBCABEgKUpvD_BwE
the oval ones are the one i was thinking about. 400 beans save 40 bucks then that pays for shipping. dougs are about the same price, makes sense on those seems to a smarter design that may last longer, and no obstructions in the exhaust pipe but i believe they require a tee in the exhaust which isn't a big deal but wonder a good mounting scheme for that? don't want to over crowd it have rubbing on something easily. that's pretty much what decision need to be based on.

the oval ones are the one i was thinking about. 400 beans save 40 bucks then that pays for shipping. dougs are about the same price, makes sense on those seems to a smarter design that may last longer, and no obstructions in the exhaust pipe but i believe they require a tee in the exhaust which isn't a big deal but wonder a good mounting scheme for that? don't want to over crowd it have rubbing on something easily. that's pretty much what decision need to be based on.

25% off is $100.

Auto Transport Service
Back