• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash Lights

prhousejr

Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
When I bought my 68 Satellite none of the dash lights worked except for the oil light, and the turn signal indicators. I pulled all the ones not working, and replaced bulbs, but still none work!!!! What now? Does the thumb roller switch that controls the dome, and gauge brightness have something to do with wether the dash lights work or not???

Absolutely. It's the dimmer for the dash lights themselves. So if the switch is bad, you may well not have dash lights at all.

I guess that means that is why the dome light is not working? Maybe? 69 runner, I got another question for you. Does the console lights, and map lights work off of the same circut as the dome? The reason I ask is because mine work, but the dome and dash lights dont. sorry for the trouble, and thanks for all the help man.......

Also, is there any way to check the dome light switch, to see if it is bad? Can these domelight switches be fixed?

The dome, map, and console lights are triggered off the door switches and the dimmer switch in the dash. If the map and console lights work when you open the door, then you know there is a problem with the dome. If they work off the door, but don't work off the switch in the dash, then there is probably a problem with the switch

You can try a shot of WD40 on the back side of the switch then roll it back and forth. I've saw them build up corrosion and not work. Same on the door switches a shot of WD40 then work in and out some. Dome light sounds like a bad bulb or corroded socket you can use a test light on it. Also you can remove the kick panels and test the door switches to see if they have power if they do replace them [year one or dants parts] As a rule age and corrosion is the problem with these old girls. When I start to restore one the first thing I do is to get everything working that will with out parts. Then I take it all apoart for cleaning. A test light will be your best friend along with contact cleaner and WD40.

Thanks Guys. The switch, and the connection behind the kick is where I am going to focus next.

Should you decide your switch is bad, this fellow in North Georgia may can repair it for you. Sorry I have forgotten his name;

[email protected]

Guess I need to update everyone on this. I pulled the cluster, and took off the circuit connector board on the back. I sanded very lightly all the contacts for the bulbs/components/etc..... put it all back together with new bulbs and re-installed. Then I took the dash/interior light switch and sprayed with pb blaster and slid in a small piece of sand paper and just rolled the switch back and forth to clean it all up. Then I took apart the connection behind the kick panel on the drivers side for the dome light. I cleaned connection and plugged back in...... EVERYTHING WORKS.... WHOOOPYYYY!!!! I don't know where the problem was, but it is not a problem anymore. Thanks for all the help. People are amazed that a 41 year old car actually has a dome light, and dash lights that work.... I wouldn't be able to stand it if they didn't..... Thanks.

You can try a shot of WD40 on the back side of the switch then roll it back and forth. I've saw them build up corrosion and not work. Same on the door switches a shot of WD40 then work in and out some. Dome light sounds like a bad bulb or corroded socket you can use a test light on it. Also you can remove the kick panels and test the door switches to see if they have power if they do replace them [year one or dants parts] As a rule age and corrosion is the problem with these old girls. When I start to restore one the first thing I do is to get everything working that will with out parts. Then I take it all apoart for cleaning. A test light will be your best friend along with contact cleaner and WD40.

Big help, this is basically what I did......

tuner this is an old thread and the problem was solved almost a year ago. check your dates please

Auto Transport Service
Back