• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decisions...Alternation, QA1, Control Freak...

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:28 PM
Reaction score
The focus of my front suspension swap is cruising and drag racing, not cornering so much. QA1 has their "stage 1, 2" kits, specifically for handling OR drag racing. If I recall, they said the only difference between the 2 is the front sway bar, which I could remove if it inhibits my front end lift for weight transfer for rear tire traction.
The Transformer K member looks strong, but heavy, but they have a tubular one more for drag racing, and then there's Control Freak on a car I am familiar with and also recommended by a shop that does mostly cruisers that also race like me.
Input/comments/suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Can't give you any ride feedback on my Transformer yet as it's still not installed in the car because I'm still building . . . It might be heavy, but it also allows you to remove the torsion bars and has to do all the work to support the weight of the car as a result of that. The tubular version might be a great option too - they build them out of chromoly and not mild steel like some of the other builders . . .

Lots of choices out there now . . . good luck - BTW Clint/Jen at MagnaForce were great people to work with . . .

HDK for racing. Well thought-out, and great quality. Lots of guys cruzing them all over the place.

installed control freak on my 65,easy install has reinforced shock tower,and save 160lbs,mark

Where did it save a 160 lbs? Ever weigh the entire front-end of a manual-steering mopar, minus the brakes?

QA1 uses all stock pieces and is super light compared to oem k-frame. I like it, use it and have no complaints.

The K-frame is the only heavy piece.

RMS Alterkation is a nice set up and proven, Bill road races his kits and does well

both upper and lower control arms are tubular,rack and pinon steering,light weight spindles, no torsion bars,no steering gear box,no strut bars,no drag link, mark

Weigh the stuff. The weight savings isn't what people think....or are told.

I use qa1 but prefer the transformer with rack and pinion if you don't mind removing some metal on your car. I've installed all of them to include rms.

I went with qa1 control arms and strut rods etc but kept the stock k member the qa1 k member is suspect to me.

IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_1378.JPG

QA1 With Borgeson Box for me! With a simple sway bar and tire change I can go from handling to drag strip.

A buddy of mine installed the Control Freak and was a HUGE advocate for them.. Car featured on their website etc... A mistake made was he was at a slightly lower ride height without dropped spindles and ended up bending both his frame rails. Control Freak also had to comp him a whole new K Frame as their welds failed. Needless to say it was a $hit$how and caused him to remove the whole system. He ended up going with QA1 and is happy with it.

I personally bought the Magnum Force transformer setup same as Kahn and it is plenty beefy. A huge driving factor is whether you want to delete the torsion bars or not. For me the T Bars were in the way of a T56 crossmember so it just made sense. A lot of people will tell you the Frame Rails and shock towers aren't meant to support the weight of the car so coilovers only are a bad idea... This is a reason I'm going one step further than most and doing new frame rails from heavier stock with mandrel bent shock towers & factory pickup locations (kind of like Schwartz performace) Truth be told I'd rather have my buddy just build my front end now and with I hadn't bought the Magnum Force (not because it's not a good system but because we are enjoying making my car the testing ground for my friends chassis shop)

There are still even more setups out there Martz, etc... for my money I would either go Magnum Force or RMS

In this pic you can kind of see what I am aiming for with the frame rails

Schwartz.jpg

To clear up my post yes if money and cutting on the car a bit is no object then transformer from magnum force.

For more stock like build and reasonable budget i use qa1 with a borgeson box

I have a stock type build...almost all aftermarket. It's $3500.00+ Not exactly a budget build.

Borgeson 700.00
Hotchkis uppers 700.00
QA1 lowers 350.00
Hotchkis swaybar 350.00
QA1 struts 200.00
Bilstein shocks 200.00
2" drop spindles 450.00
Hotchkis torsion bars 350.00
Moog idler arm 35.00
Moog pitman arm 100.00
tie-rod ends in/out 100.00
billet sleeves 60.00
MOOG lower ball joints 100.00
urethane boots 60.00

QA1 front end here, Hotchkis 1.1 T bars, and Bilstein shocks. I'm supposed to be doing the Firm Feel Stage 2 or 3 before winter, but we'll see.

It definitely doesn't handle like a newer car, but its alot better than it was. Ride is awesome. Feels way more secure all around.

I also did the Hotchkis sub frame connectors and that helped alot as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back