• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deleting 2 Headlights

PappyJoe

Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
I've done a search and haven't found any info.

I'm working on a 71 Satellite and I plan to delete the two inner headlights. Anyone been there and done that? Would like information on what headlight used and if there is a wiring harness available.

Thanks
Joe

This is not a difficult undertaking but I recommend halogen housings (Hella or others) and a dual filament bulb. These bulbs do high and low beam and are the three prong type. Note which bulbs on the car are currently the high and low beams. You're using the outer position so this should work fine. You need to discover what color of wire does the highs and which one does the lows, and using this discovery wire the bulbs accordingly. If you don't want to ruin your existing harness, purchase a new three wire socket for the bulbs and wire to that. I recommend the use of two relays powered by the wires from the bulkhead connector for switching the relays and 12 volts directly from the battery. You should fuse the main power supply from the battery as the feed wires to power the relays are already fused from your interior fuse panel. You can actually wire the headlights in a manner that leaves the low beams on when the high beams are activated which gives great illumination. When the high beams drop out, only the lows are on. This can only be achieved with the use of relays. Schematics are available online. Aiming is done with low beams only and then the high beams will be correct. I have a four light system on my car and use this setup (where the lows stay on with the highs) using halogen retrofits and not only do the flat-faced bulb housings look great but the illumination is fantastic without upsetting oncoming vehicles. You putting ram air in the blank light housings or yellow bulbs like on the new Challengers?

Ram air. 5.7 hemight is going in and I have a air grabber under glass intake that has two hoses. I plan to attach halos to the air intakes for blinkers. The lower "normal" blinkers are going to aftermarket fogs that I've put in the stock housings. I agree with the relays, already have them. Thanks for the info, I'll look at the wiring and see what I can do.

I saw this I was thinking about doing something similar
with a buddy on his car...
The Challenger & Charger Halo open middle style lights
with screens over them, as long as they can be 5.750" sizes
http://dipsprod.weebly.com/dips-screens.html

I'm thinking of doing it a bit different, but to
use the inner holes for fresh air & lights as the blinker lights,
if they are wired up that way, I wouldn't se why not
just need the dual element Hi/Low outers 5.750" sealed beams,
you can get them outers, in Halogen too, still have nice bright lights...
especially if you do some sort of constant 12vt power like
with a relays system...

Last edited:
They do make a sealed beam halogen that works great and plugs right in. Then just leave the two prong high beam plugs taped to the harness unused. I would recommend a relay conversion to power them as the stock wiring tends to drop alot of voltage. I have these in all four buckets on my 71, with the relay upgrade so they get a full 14.5 v. The result is phenomenal. You can cook small animals at 300 yards no problem. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back