• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between 73 and 74 steering column???

drobertson

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
While restoring my 73 Charger, it is becoming a 4 speed, and I no longer have need for the column shift. I would convert the column, but a friend of mine has a restored 74 column he'd sell me. For power steering, just like my car. He says the only difference is the wiring, and that could be changed. Correct or incorrect? Thanks.

Correct, the wiring will be the same maybe just some color differences.

Incorrent... same wiring colors included. Column shaft and firewall plate are diff, but rest are the same

You can pull your old harness and stick it in the new column or just change the pins at the connections it's 2 or 3 wires only

The wire channel and the mount to the dash are different as well as the crush sleeve, but those can all be swapped and will not cause an issue. Just gutted a 74 to steal the lock for a 73 last night.

That's what I'm talking about. You'll need to get the necesary parts from the 74 column, to become your 73 on a non shifter column, but still keeping your 73 column.

Once you get both in hands and compare side by side, you'll know what to do. Is pretty much straight up, and not hard to make it

Main shaft is a different length.

73 has short shaft from box to "puck" style flex joint, and long main shaft.

74 changed flex joint to "ford' style and moved it closer to firewall.

You'll need both shafts and the coupler for the 74 column to make it work.

The good news is that the 74 and up style flex joint is still available at most stores for about $10.

The 73 is one year only, difficult to find and pricey.

I replaced mine with an actual hockey puck. It's the exact same size!

You could swap the 74 floor shift "collar" onto your 73 column.

Not sure what's involved with the internal parts for the shift linkage.....

Main shaft is a different length.

73 has short shaft from box to "puck" style flex joint, and long main shaft.

74 changed flex joint to "ford' style and moved it closer to firewall.

You'll need both shafts and the coupler for the 74 column to make it work.

The good news is that the 74 and up style flex joint is still available at most stores for about $10.

The 73 is one year only, difficult to find and pricey.

I replaced mine with an actual hockey puck. It's the exact same size!

I know there are differences between 73/74 columns. I'm curious what makes the 73 one year only? I've had several 71/74 columns but honestly I never paid much attention. Thanks Ken

The shaft disposition on engine bay side is what makes them diff. Rest are the same with 71/72

74 are diff on shaft disposition with 71/72 and also 73. Then the firewall plate/bracket is diff from earliers, and the column bracket.

Last edited:
The post of mine you quoted is exactly the answer to the question you asked in the post you quoted it in.....

73 is the only year with the "puck".

Need to note that a FULL ASSEMBLY from end to end! The 73 and 74 SHAFTS ONLY can be interchanged. That's including ALL THE PIECES up to steering box if they are included of course

So you can even fit a 74 column Including shaft full asembly on a 73 body just changing the plate to firewall using your 73 piece and the 73 column bracket on the 74 column, although you still can use the 74 column bracket on the 73 just won't find the 3rd point attaching provision

Sorry that's right the two or three wire diff was a-body to b-body column s

YY1 is 100 % correct. I had to replace my "rag joint" as they call it. After I ordered it (for a small fortune) I found it Is exactly the same as a Hockey puck.
I have pictures here somewhere. In any case 73 vs 74 columns are very much different.
I am told however 75 will work on a 74. I can not confirm that however.

You say the shafts can be interchanged? Could I take the shaft out of a 74 swivel joint column shift column and put it in a 73 floor shift column? And not have the rag joint anymore?

Both have rag joints, just diff kind of rag joints and rest of setup.

But yes, as full assembly from end to end up to steering box coupling the shafts can be interchanged

Auto Transport Service
Back