• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dizzy cap and plug wire recommendations

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
6:48 PM
Reaction score
I bought a tan distributor cap and spark plug wires from advance auto a few months back. Where the plug wires meet the cap the connections are very loose and pop out quite easily. Is this normal? If not I'd like some recommendations on a good set of wires and dizzy cap.

Are those wires the $23 variety???
You can usually get away with a cheaper cap but I've never had any luck with AutoZone type wires.
Taylor, MSD, Petronix, Accel, and even the cheaper Summit and Jegs wires are decent.

I bought a tan distributor cap and spark plug wires from advance auto a few months back. Where the plug wires meet the cap the connections are very loose and pop out quite easily. Is this normal? If not I'd like some recommendations on a good set of wires and dizzy cap.
Look into buying a cap with towers as opposed to sockets. They are generally referred to as HEI style and believe me, no one has better wires than MSD and Firecore (which are made to look OE)

Firecore Rick is the man to call.

Personally, I like any cap with brass inserts inside the plug towers and 8mm non-solid core wires. I've had good luck with Accel.

However, unless you've got a race motor, for what already have right now try this. Take some needle nose pliers and grab the edge of the metal connector (distributor cap side) and slide the boot back up he wire about 1/4" (some spit on the wire helps). Take the same needle nose pliers, put them "inside the loop" of that same wire end & open them up to spread that loop to be a tiny bit wider (just 1/16"). Now put a dab of dielectric grease in each spark plug tower on the cap, push the wire end inside it (they'll be tighter now) and then slide the boot down just a little bit over the cap tower...pushing it down too tightly will force the wire up & out again. Repeat on each wire.

Auto Transport Service
Back