• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Docile Iron rockers, couple of quick questions

I just pulled the valve covers on my 440. The adjustable iron rocker arms are not showing ANY threads above the pushrods. So I am assuming that I am getting plenty of oil to the push rod cup. Haven't had any problems with it. I think these are Crane iron rocker arms, as the adjuster nut uses an allen wrench to turn it. Is this how they are identified? I used to have a set that needed a flat screwdriver to turn the adjuster in or out. So I think those were the factory type.

the oil hole in the back of the rockers sole function is to lube the push rod cup and adjuster ball.
Now it all makes sense. The ball on the end of the adjuster gets oil from the rocker arm thru the drilled passage. There is a smaller diameter area just above the ball, so that the oil can flow from the drilled passage onto the ball and cup. If the adjuster screw is too far down, (more than a thread or 2) then oil flow from the drilled passage will be blocked. Even in this case, with a thread showing below the rocker, it looks like the oil still has to flow thru a few threads to get to the ball and cup.

If the adjuster screw is too far down, (more than a thread or 2) then oil flow from the drilled passage will be blocked.
Incorrect. I'll give you a visual aid or two...

20161106_193307.jpg
20161106_193056.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back