• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this VIN stamp look correct?

ATDoray

Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
Hello, this engine vin stamp is on a 440 and said to be NOM to the 1970 superbird that it is installed in. The stamp matches the VIN but it just doesn't appear to be right. The 0 doesn't look like any 0 I have seen on an engine before. Looking for any insight. Thank you. The last number appears to be there but it is very light. I know that is not unusual.
123951.jpg

no. the last six have to be numbers, like O (for 1970, B for location, last six of serial number.
e:g,0B111111

no. the last six have to be numbers, like O (for 1970, B for location, last six of serial number.
e:g,0B111111
All 8 digits are there. The last number is a 7 and is just very light. Not uncommon. It is easier to see in person. The picture doesn't show it well. My concern is the font of the stamp and how rough the edges look. The 0 at the beginning looks really rough.

What is the cast date on the block and what is the build date on the car?

NOM means non matching?

Sorry I wasn't thinking right. It is supposed to be matching numbers. The number on the block matches the VIN. The build date is Nov 30 but I'm not sure of the casting date. I'm not near the car anymore.

NOM = Not Original Motor

Looks like a stamping on a warranty block by whoknowswho... :eek:

Looks 100% fake to me. Missing a number. Just my 2 cents.

My initial reaction is fake. The "0,1,5" look different (see MMC photo attached).
However, I would chemically strip the paint there to see if the leg on the 1 is filled in. I see the outline of the last 7. The 0 could possibly have a beat-up edge but the curve looks wrong. You could then also verify the look of the stamp pad milling marks.

Also add to investigate and post some photos:
-the block casting = date and "2536430-x" where "x" (the mold#) should be consistent with assembly dates
-the top block stamp pad = F440HP with assembly date
-SPD on tag and door sticker = Nov 30,1969?
-trans stamp = probably done at same time, the fonts and levelness (or lack of) should match exactly

Some warranty blocks were stamped with VIN by the dealer, I wouldn't expect those fonts to look like factory.
Question: your car or looking to buy? A NOM on 'Bird could reduce $$ by 50K!

vin_code_01_l.jpg Eng vin typical stamp size.jpg

Also check the VIN with Winged Warriors or sites with aero cars sections. Birds/Daytona's are pretty well tracked and scrutinized.

That' not a 69 vin in picture is it? looks like a 71 to me.
I thought a 1 was made into the 0 at first too, maybe the poser didn't have a 0 template. I was thinking the space between the 1 and A might be too large, but it sure looks like it was a wrong-font 1.
ATDoray?:poke:

Thanks for the replies. Definitely confirms my suspicions. Unfortunately this is a car that a friend went to look at to buy and he sent me that picture after he left. He didn't look at the ID pad or the casting date. The car had a few issues anyway and he didn't buy it. The vin does match up with the registry and the transmission stamp was matching and definitely correct so I believe it's a real bird.

My initial reaction is fake. The "0,1,5" look different (see MMC photo attached).
However, I would chemically strip the paint there to see if the leg on the 1 is filled in. I see the outline of the last 7. The 0 could possibly have a beat-up edge but the curve looks wrong. You could then also verify the look of the stamp pad milling marks.

Also add to investigate and post some photos:
-the block casting = date and "2536430-x" where "x" (the mold#) should be consistent with assembly dates
-the top block stamp pad = F440HP with assembly date
-SPD on tag and door sticker = Nov 30,1969?
-trans stamp = probably done at same time, the fonts and levelness (or lack of) should match exactly

Some warranty blocks were stamped with VIN by the dealer, I wouldn't expect those fonts to look like factory.
Question: your car or looking to buy? A NOM on 'Bird could reduce $$ by 50K!

View attachment 492251 View attachment 492252

So if I found a bird without the original block but has a true warranty block that unstamped with warrant stamps how does that effect a 4 speed 6 pack bird?

For what it is worth, here is the engine stamping from my 1970 Road Runner, built October of 1969. It is a 383 engine, so there could be differences. I am not an expert on engine stampings, but I offer this shot as a reference picture for what I believe to be an original Chrysler stamping in that time span.

Hawk
IMG_0720.JPG

So if I found a bird without the original block but has a true warranty block that unstamped with warrant stamps how does that effect a 4 speed 6 pack bird?
All else the same, IMO the only way it could fetch close to born-with $$ is if the warranty block still has the tag on it and dealer replacement papers documenting it, and dealer-applied VIN stamp.

If it's just a generic over-the-counter block there are more important things that can affect price, but I'd say it's better than having a date-code-correct block (with another car's VIN) to numbers buyers.

It really depends on how important #'s match are to the buyer, and some people will chime in here saying it don't matter because the performance is the same. However, because 'Bird/Daytona/Hemi Cuda prices are in the stratosphere, to those buyers it matters. You pay for pedigree whether its a car, dog, or Japanese tea pot.

The paint is masking a lot, but the stamps are the correct fonts (compare the 7 and 8 with the pics in post #9, for example).

That pad needs to be stripped to get a better view though it looks pretty legit to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back