• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doing a front disc conversion - real quick question first

Ed, I'm subscribed, if my car doesn't sell I may be doing what you are thinking about.
Oh man Don, I hate to see you selling. If I could, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, it's a sweetheart.

Got real quiet in here....
Guess that's the end of the advice?
One thing I've found in researching what kits are out there which befuddles me - the kits with spindle swaps mandatory are actually cheaper than the ones that utilize the original drum spindle.
How much you wanna bet those spindles all originate in a big red country in the far east?
Call me old fashioned, but I want all my suspension pieces to be forged in this country.

Got real quiet in here....
Guess that's the end of the advice?
One thing I've found in researching what kits are out there which befuddles me - the kits with spindle swaps mandatory are actually cheaper than the ones that utilize the original drum spindle.
How much you wanna bet those spindles all originate in a big red country in the far east?
Call me old fashioned, but I want all my suspension pieces to be forged in this country.

That is exactly the reason why I went with the SSBC kit that uses the original drum spindles. There was a recall on the repop spindles a couple/few years back that affected a lot of the kits. I have zero confidence in those parts now. You can search the forum for posts about the recall.

That is exactly the reason why I went with the SSBC kit that uses the original drum spindles. There was a recall on the repop spindles a couple/few years back that affected a lot of the kits. I have zero confidence in those parts now. You can search the forum for posts about the recall.
Ok, to summarize all this....
Keeping drum spindles and running manual brakes. Keeping 15" Magnums.
I've eliminated the kits that are over $800.00 since there are more than one that cost considerably less (cheapest price I've found for each shown):

Wilwood Dyna-Lite Pro Series kit, which does not include hoses or master cylinder; 11" rotors, 4 piston calipers: $688 on Summit.

SSBC #SSB-A156 kit, INCLUDES hoses and master cylinder; 4 piston calipers, 11.25" rotors: $686 on Summit.

Scarebird: Their "medium duty" brackets use a 10.5" Lincoln rear rotor and a 1990 Chevy Celebrity caliper. I figure by the time I get all the parts rounded up, it'll be about $525.00

(Note: The SSBC A154-5 kit someone is selling right now on here is actually for C-Body from '63-'64!!)

Leed: A nice complete kit including master cylinder, flex lines and hard lines at MC, proportioning valve, 11.33" rotors and 4 piston calipers that look suspiciously like the SSBC ones. $840, so over the budget number.

This is about all I'm coming up with, short of finding the proverbial 1976 a-body in a junkyard somewhere.

Ok, to summarize all this....
Keeping drum spindles and running manual brakes. Keeping 15" Magnums.
I've eliminated the kits that are over $800.00 since there are more than one that cost considerably less (cheapest price I've found for each shown):

Wilwood Dyna-Lite Pro Series kit, which does not include hoses or master cylinder; 11" rotors, 4 piston calipers: $688 on Summit.

SSBC #SSB-A156 kit, INCLUDES hoses and master cylinder; 4 piston calipers, 11.25" rotors: $686 on Summit.

Scarebird: Their "medium duty" brackets use a 10.5" Lincoln rear rotor and a 1990 Chevy Celebrity caliper. I figure by the time I get all the parts rounded up, it'll be about $525.00

(Note: The SSBC A154-5 kit someone is selling right now on here is actually for C-Body from '63-'64!!)

Leed: A nice complete kit including master cylinder, flex lines and hard lines at MC, proportioning valve, 11.33" rotors and 4 piston calipers that look suspiciously like the SSBC ones. $840, so over the budget number.

This is about all I'm coming up with, short of finding the proverbial 1976 a-body in a junkyard somewhere.

Not to sound biased because I have an SSBC kit, but I think that's your best option. Advantage over the Wildwood kit for same money is that it comes with the MC and hoses. Advantage over the Scarebird is that it's a complete kit from Summit with their backing and also you will be getting an 11.25" rotor over a 10.5" rotor. That translates to much more surface area=stopping power which might be worthwhile with the 440 you have.

That being said, a member has spindles for sale that he reconditioned. l think he also has caliper brackets too. Here's the link.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...cars-73-76-a-body-cars.142080/#post-910826485

I know people who have bought items from the member in the above link and they vouch for him, just saying.

As far as your choices, here is my 2 cents. I'd go to my local auto parts store , as a option and purchase everything for a '76 and later Duster/Aspen, etc. The other option would be "The Ram man" but he can and will say the same what I just did. Bottom line is I'd get EVERYTHING needed, at a fair price, at one source

Not to sound biased because I have an SSBC kit, but I think that's your best option. Advantage over the Wildwood kit for same money is that it comes with the MC and hoses. Advantage over the Scarebird is that it's a complete kit from Summit with their backing and also you will be getting an 11.25" rotor over a 10.5" rotor. That translates to much more surface area=stopping power which might be worthwhile with the 440 you have.

That being said, a member has spindles for sale that he reconditioned. l think he also has caliper brackets too. Here's the link.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...cars-73-76-a-body-cars.142080/#post-910826485
I reckon that's where I'm being led (SSBC), yep.
I will admit the spindles you mention are very tempting, however.

I know people who have bought items from the member in the above link and they vouch for him, just saying.

As far as your choices, here is my 2 cents. I'd go to my local auto parts store , as a option and purchase everything for a '76 and later Duster/Aspen, etc. The other option would be "The Ram man" but he can and will say the same what I just did. Bottom line is I'd get EVERYTHING needed, at a fair price, at one source
I've sent that member a message to see if he's still got the spindles - and the necessary caliper brackets.
I've always wanted to try Ehrenbergs' "recipe". :thumbsup:

I've sent that member a message to see if he's still got the spindles - and the necessary caliper brackets.
I've always wanted to try Ehrenbergs' "recipe". :thumbsup:
If he doesn't have caliper brackets, they are easier to find elsewhere than spindles.

If he doesn't have caliper brackets, they are easier to find elsewhere than spindles.
Well, yes and no.
The smaller (10.8" rotor) caliper brackets are cheap and plentiful out there.
The larger (11.75" rotor) caliper brackets not so much and they're fetching $100 a pair when I do find them, putting me at about $325 before I even begin buying rotors, calipers, hardware, hoses, etc.

He doesn't have the big caliper brackets and found it necessary to chide me on not "thoroughly checking" all his old for sale ads on here in telling me so.
He can keep his spindles.

Well, yes and no.
The smaller (10.8" rotor) caliper brackets are cheap and plentiful out there.
The larger (11.75" rotor) caliper brackets not so much and they're fetching $100 a pair when I do find them, putting me at about $325 before I even begin buying rotors, calipers, hardware, hoses, etc.

He doesn't have the big caliper brackets and found it necessary to chide me on not "thoroughly checking" all his old for sale ads on here in telling me so.
He can keep his spindles.

Funny. I've never dealt with him personally, but his posts always sounded condescending to me too.

Funny. I've never dealt with him personally, but his posts always sounded condescending to me too.
In this world, we put up with such sometimes when they have something we're in serious need of and is hard to find.
In this case, it isn't - so I don't. :)
Life's too short...

When you get this conversion completed I would be interested in your 11" drums and backing plates etc. Wanting to convert my 66 coronet from 10" to 11" drums.

Glad I made this thread now. Good reference, almost a year and half later. :)
Ok James at @PST #PST - I'm pretty set on the SSBC A156 kit.
Only suitable alternative is the Leeds kit that's very similar.
What can you do for me on this?
Please don't tell me to go to your site - it's pretty obtuse, truth be told.
Thanks!

Glad I made this thread now. Good reference, almost a year and half later. :)
Ok James at @PST #PST - I'm pretty set on the SSBC A156 kit.
Only suitable alternative is the Leeds kit that's very similar.
What can you do for me on this?
Please don't tell me to go to your site - it's pretty obtuse, truth be told.
Thanks!
P9HlLn.gif

I am going through a disc upgrade on my A100 using Scarebird parts and recommended parts list. Not a B-Body I know, but the principle is the same. So far, this has been a real PITA to do, with every twist and turn throwing up problems...I cannot believe how anyone could expect to do this on a weekend like the man at Scarebird says it can. In due course I will supply a full write up with pictures...but for now, I would suggest someone other than Scarebird to supply necessary parts.
That's my 2 cents worth. :)

Ed are you talking about pinned calipers, like E berg did? Big dollars now. Did mine in 2001 $550 to $600 then.
disc 4.jpg
2disco.jpg

View attachment 749717

I am going through a disc upgrade on my A100 using Scarebird parts and recommended parts list. Not a B-Body I know, but the principle is the same. So far, this has been a real PITA to do, with every twist and turn throwing up problems...I cannot believe how anyone could expect to do this on a weekend like the man at Scarebird says it can. In due course I will supply a full write up with pictures...but for now, I would suggest someone other than Scarebird to supply necessary parts.
That's my 2 cents worth. :)
Further back in the thread (and a year and a half ago), I posted about Scarebird discontinuing the bracket for the larger rotor/caliper setup. All they had left at that point was the "smaller" setup.
As a result, I took them out of the running, least for me.

Ed are you talking about pinned calipers, like E berg did? Big dollars now. Did mine in 2001 $550 to $600 then.View attachment 749718 View attachment 749720
Nope, not changing spindles, as is often stated earlier in this thread.
It's the SSBC kit (that works with stock drum spindles) or something VERY similar, like perhaps the Leeds setup if price is right.

Further back in the thread (and a year and a half ago), I posted about Scarebird discontinuing the bracket for the larger rotor/caliper setup. All they had left at that point was the "smaller" setup.
As a result, I took them out of the running, least for me.
I did read that....just pointing out the difficulties I am having. Nearly there now.
The guy must have drunk or high when he composed the parts list for the A100 plates....his plates are great, but that is where it ends.

Nope, not changing spindles, as is often stated earlier in this thread.
It's the SSBC kit (that works with stock drum spindles) or something VERY similar, like perhaps the Leeds setup if price is right.
Ed- I put in the SSBC kit. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. - Abe

Auto Transport Service
Back