• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doing head gasket on 1964 Poly I got questions looking for answers Thanks

Johnny Fury

Local time
7:32 AM
Reaction score
my poly needed a head gasket. Steam on passenger side exhaust. Pulled it apart and I see a bent pushrod. The others look good just rusty but straight. This motor sat for 30 years when I got it. Got a good 9000 miles out of it with just running ATF for a bit. New oil pump clean the pan. Radiator core. So here I am. I haven't taken the driver head off yet. But I know I need at least one pushrod. On the passenger side. Is it ok to just wire wheel and polish the old pushrods? Seem to be hard to find. 8 inch overall ball and cup style. About 7-3/4 ball to cup bottom. Also do the pushrods need to go back in the same position as the came out. Or can the be cleaned polished and put back random as they are all the same length. Also the lifters, are the fine to keep and use? They look good not rusty never heard them making noise. They are available solid models from Amazon. If I should replace the lifters any tricks?? Or just pull and replace and put back my refurbished pushrods and adjust when it is all back together and running. Any info is Much Much appreciated first go at a V-8 Headgasket. And while it is open and easy to get to I want to do what I need to without going crazy as money is tight. The car is a daily driver not a race car. Thanks guys.

Johnny Fury

Do you know why the pushrod bent? Possibly a stuck valve or mis adjusted rocker?
You can clean and re use the pushrods but I would roll them on a flat surface to ensure they are straight. I know a guy who might have pushrods if you need a couple.

As for the lifters, you can reuse them but keep them in their correct bores and make sure none are sticking. With the solid lifters, they should spin in the bore when the cam is turned over. If they are gummed up you can certainly clean the varnish off but I wouldn't scrub them with anything abrasive. If you get a new cam = new lifters.

Might as well check the timing chain for stretch while it is apart and I would double check #1 TDC as the stock balancers can and will slip giving false readings.

Make sure to lash the rockers when you are done.

Thanks threewood for the response. I know I need at least one. It's been too hot to pull the driver head off. Should be done tomorrow. There was holes blocked between the head and block. Cleaned those and am going to have the heads ran in the steam machine. I'm trying to do this kinda on the cheap. I had the timing cover off before and the chain seemed to look nice seemed tight. The bent rod not sure how it bent may have been bent when I got it. I have done a few good burn outs. May have done it. I will clean the push rods light polish. The lifters are still in place haven't removed them. They look good nothing looks like varnish all Shiney looking. Never heard any noise there now that it is open I could hear the rod before. I will get back when I get the other head off. The motor has original 90,000 miles not too bad right?
Thanks again for the info
Johnny

Hey Johnny,
This forum is an excellent source for info! There are two other sources I use for specifically poly 318's. If you do Facebook there is a group called Polyspherical AKA Poly 318. Lots a good people there and some legendary gurus. Also there is a Yahoo Groups called [email protected]. There is a lot experience at these sites and reasonable prices for standard and go-fast parts. A gentleman name Gary Pavlovich can be found at either location. He has been very patient and extremely helpful in healing me achieve current and future poly goals.
Joel

Last edited:
Hey Johnny,
This forum is an excellent source for info! There are two other sources I use for specifically poly 318's. If you do Facebook there is a group called Polyspherical AKA Poly 318. Lots a good people there and some legendary gurus. Also there is a Yahoo Groups called [email protected]. There is a lot experience at these sites and reasonable prices for standard and go-fast parts. A gentleman name Gary Pavlovich can be found at either location. He has been very patient and extremely helpful in healing me achieve current and future poly goals.
Joel
Thanks Joel I will have a look there!!

Do you know why the pushrod bent? Possibly a stuck valve or mis adjusted rocker?
You can clean and re use the pushrods but I would roll them on a flat surface to ensure they are straight. I know a guy who might have pushrods if you need a couple.

As for the lifters, you can reuse them but keep them in their correct bores and make sure none are sticking. With the solid lifters, they should spin in the bore when the cam is turned over. If they are gummed up you can certainly clean the varnish off but I wouldn't scrub them with anything abrasive. If you get a new cam = new lifters.

Might as well check the timing chain for stretch while it is apart and I would double check #1 TDC as the stock balancers can and will slip giving false readings.

Make sure to lash the rockers when you are done.
Hello threewood,
I finished pulling the other head looks good. I do need at least 1 push rod hope you can hook me up to your buddy that may have a push Rod for me.
Thank you
Johnny

Hello threewood,
I finished pulling the other head looks good. I do need at least 1 push rod hope you can hook me up to your buddy that may have a push Rod for me.
Thank you
Johnny

Send Gary an email. He built my poly and we still keep in touch. He probably has a few. :)
glpavlovich at cox dot net

Auto Transport Service
Back