• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

doing my heads

steve from staten island

Local time
5:08 PM
Reaction score
Thank You for the advise on my previous post,im going to start rebuilding my 383 which will be bone stock. The heads according to the bills im found were done at about 80k the odometer shows over 120k as of now. The bill showed some valves were replaced.. Should all the valve springs just be replaced or check them and replace as needed and the same question with the valves? Ive got a competent guy doing the work but i wanted to know what you all thought.-----------------thanks and happy st pattys day to all--------------steve

If the springs have never been replaced, it's sure time for it.....

Remember too when you say "bone stock" that in all liklihood, it was not as good as "bone stock" from the factory. Measurements such as deck height, combustion chamber sizes and the like were way out of spec from the factory. Getting the deck height blueprinted to factory spec and parallel with the crank centerline will result in a bump in compression to WHERE the engine is specced to be. Same with getting the chambers to the right volume, as they were always big. Good luck.

Exhaust valves take a beating so you will want to check them carefully. Also see if the guides have been knurled or actually replaced with bronze or iron liners. Typically springs get tested and VSI's go in as required to bring the pressure up to spec but stock springs are pretty cheap so replacing them is a good move. No matter what you will need to check/adjust the pressure at the closed and open height.

if you are gonna drive it a lot,it needs to have hardened seats installed,for the money i would buy a set of alum heads

Sounds like it has 40k on the heads. If the guy doing them is good just tell him to check the springs and replace if needed. Its only going to be all stock so if the spring pressures are ok I would use them for a stock build. But have him check everything real good and do what is needed as long as no heads are cracked. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back