• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door trouble 65-coronet 500

Bobo

Local time
5:41 PM
Reaction score
Hello to all members I just bought my first mopar 65 coronet 500 and the doors seem do not latch completely unless I close them hard they seem to line up good does not seem to have hinge sag they just bounce back unless close a little harder could this be from hard launches drag racing ? The car is tubed and the frame is tied front to rear I know this will be a tough one Please help if you can thanks .. Bo

Sounds like the strikers are set too deep! Does it have new door seals? If it does you'll need to bend the pinch weld in a little!

Sounds like new weather strips. If the door already fits well try the striker 1st. If that doesn't help get a dollar bill and shut it in between the door at various points to see where the weatherstrip and door are too tight. You can then pull the strip loose from the flange (just pushes on). Take a adjustable wrench and close the jaws tightly on the flange. Bend it inward, reinstall the strip. Do this in the tight areas. Sometimes you may even have to wack the flange with a block of wood and a hammer. When I painted my 64 one area was so tight from the factory at the belt line oft the door that i cut out a section and rewelded it. My doors are completely gutted on the inside so they have become flexible. They still were able to be fitted to open and shut great with new weather strips.
Doug

Attachments

• W33.jpg
    W33.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 248
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 251
First, are the windows up?...or down or does it do it either?:eusa_shifty:

Second, Join the club!... of "tri 6" B Bodies!:icon_silent:

I played with my doors so much I almost went off the deep end!:sad10:

When I got the doors to close better I did not like the gaps....so I went back to
the original position. BTW; my car has never been hit.
also when the windows are down the doors shut better!?!

so, now I just enjoy the car:happy3:

sorry if I am not much help, best of luck,:eusa_pray:
Sonny

Amen to all of that, just purchase striker shims and spent a day Playing with it till I got it right, then new weatherstripping and start again. LOL

Thank you for the tip I will post what happens

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for taking the time and with such detail as soon as I get time I will get into the door job best regards....

Thank you for taking the time to help with such detail when I do this work I will post how things went

I finally got my doors to close with out slamming thanks to all the guys who gave good info bending the pinch welds with a adjustable wrench and a hamer/ 2x4 scrap and a dollar bill opening and closing the door a thousand times the dollar showed exactly where it was to tight I'm grateful for all who replyed !

Auto Transport Service
Back