• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driving up tp Phoenix early tomorrow.......

Pictures in link below:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsCEaRUOIFqInlgvHTqVlVVZqlzi

The car is far from perfect, but the best I've seen in my (almost) three year search. "Functionally" I could find nothing wrong with the car. Everything works, started easily, idled great, good oil PSI, no overheating after idle for over 30 minutes. Car is wearing all of it's original sheetmetal, trunk, and floorboards. In certain view angles you can see many paint imperfection (sanding marks and obvious poor prep areas). I found on the passenger quarter way low a small area that is obviously bondo, maybe the size of a half dollar. No bubbling anywhere. Frame rails solid. Trunk extensions great. Car spent it's life in Utah, Las Vegas, and Phoenix.

Wiring under dash looks great, and under hood good to pretty good. Could not really find any Redneck Engineering, or Roadkill evidence.

No spare, or jack.

All glass is original. Windshield etched in areas. All windows roll up and down, but took lots of effort.

The seller lives in a mansion on a mountain. Dirt and gravel road. Raining cats and dogs while I was there, so was only allowed to drive around his courtyard. For what little I drove it was fine. Brake pedal firm, power steering overboosted like a mopar should be. Horn does go Beep Beep. Together we confirmed numbers matching.

Not as much documentation as I would have liked, but proof of motor rebuild 4 years ago, and some receipts. Nice lope, nice exhaust, although the exhaust manifold leaked oh so slightly after the car was heat soaked and restarted. Nice Flowmaster exhaust.

The seller has $250,000 worth of B Bodys in his garage. This car is his 'lowest value' car and being sold to make room for an E Body.

I probably paid too much at 26, but if I did I did not overpay much. Maybe a grand, or so.

The car is allowed to stay in his garage 10 days, so I need to move on getting him paid and getting it to Tucson.

Thanks for all of the nice replies. Take care, Bill

Congratulations Bill. It looks and sounds like a great car....maybe not perfect, but few cars are perfect. I bet it feels good to have scratched the itch to finally find and buy the car you wanted! BTW, love to color. I live in Green Valley, so maybe close enough to see the car in person one of these days!!!

Rich asshole certainly knew that he would get 26k and wasn't going to give a good guy a break

i wouldn't be so quick to label a fellow Mopar lover and asshole just because he knew what he wanted for his car and stuck to it. And he doesn't know who is a good guy and who is an asshole with a nice smile.

i wouldn't be so quick to label a fellow Mopar lover and asshole just because he knew what he wanted for his car and stuck to it. And he doesn't know who is a good guy and who is an asshole with a nice smile.
I'm sure it didn't matter who was buying the car as long as he had the $$$.
As far as labeling the seller and asshole. I didn't label him an asshole, I called him an asshole. Freedom of speech and opinion, is a lovely thing.

Congrats! Nice car.

Real long story I'll keep short; I was shocked that some collector car insurance companies would not give me coverage "until possession of the vehicle and title". When I explained that there will be a few days undetermined on where the car will be as money, title, etc change hands and I arrange the trailer they told me they could not give any coverage. I was in so much disbelief that I called my insurance broker (independent agent) who covers my house, cars, umbrella, etc. She said the EXACT same thing. So, I just played dumb and they said they would start my coverage "in 1 to 2 days after possession". Really??!!??

Maybe I overreacted, but I had a friend lose a 66 Galaxy 500 while being trailered from LA to Tucson, and the trailer company insurance 'bill of carriage' did not cover much.

So, I did what I should have done in the first place and called Hagerty. Yes, the coverage is EXACTLY double the price of American Collectors and Condon Skelly (both I've done business with in the past), but it was a fellow motor head who answered the phone (67 Camaro and 70 Chevelle), says my situation is common and no problem, and in less than 10 minutes I have coverage on the Road Runner starting at midnight. I will sleep better tonight.

The bank holiday today did not help my cause. If I could have had funds to the seller tomorrow I could have had the car tomorrow night as my relo guy would be in Peoria, AZ tomorrow. Now I will have to wait a few days.

I know...patience.....but I've waited 20 years for this car.............

Last edited:
I know...patience.....but I've waited 20 years for this car.............

But Christmas is finally here! Like a kid on Christmas morning for you! Will I be shocked when I call to insure my Coronet? I thought you had to "negotiate" the value of the car for classic car insurance? Was it that easy?

Congratulations Bill. It looks and sounds like a great car....maybe not perfect, but few cars are perfect. I bet it feels good to have scratched the itch to finally find and buy the car you wanted! BTW, love to color. I live in Green Valley, so maybe close enough to see the car in person one of these days!!!

We will have to get our cars all in one place sometime this spring once I am on the road!

I had a Shelby Charger and Shelby Lancer that were just toys for my autocross days and used American Collectors. Although I never had a claim, they were so easy to deal with and the LOWEST price. My 68 Charger was insured with Condon Skelly and they were a bit of a paperwork night mare (appraisals, proof of odometer, 8 pictures, audit of odometer, proof that I have at least one car that is less than 7 years old to drive daily, etc, etc), but again, better coverage at half the price of Hagerty.

I want to support Hagerty as they support the hobby, and sponsor lots of TV shows and car shows, but I know of two people that had zero issues with claims payment wise, but were eventually dropped from coverage. One of the two told me (maybe speculation) that they have an internal rule of thumb that if two at fault accidents are found (on ANY of the cars you drive whether insured by them, or not), you are no longer a customer. I don't know, but I was impressed with the personal service, knowledge of the car and the hobby, and ease of getting coverage. I literally got the car insured while waiting at a red light tonight. No pictures, no appraisals, he even found my driver's license number in the 'insurance record database'. Had to pull off the road just to give him my credit card number and I had proof of insurance in my email two minutes later.

Will I be shocked when I call to insure my Coronet? I thought you had to "negotiate" the value of the car for classic car insurance?
BTW, you can insure your Coronet TODAY as a project in progress. Try American Collectors first.

That is why I like it. It will look like a new car lot in 1969 :)

I also have a buddy from Rio Rico that I could bring along with his 69 Charger if we can pick a time when everyone is free. He works for Border Patrol and his shifts rotate, so we will see what works when the time comes!!!

Good info to know! When I get mine it's Hagerty all the way for me.

That is why I like it. It will look like a new car lot in 1969

Unfortunately, my car will look like it needs to be on the 'used' lot. Paint is a 7 out of 10 on this car, which is fine with me. Won't be sweating at every car show protecting the car from scratches, etc.

Cross your finders and say a prayer! I may have the car late tomorrow night in my garage!

Good info to know! When I get mine it's Hagerty all the way for me.

I have Hagerty on my daughters 1956 Hudson Hornet and they have been reasonably priced to me, but them her car is not a high dollar Mopar.

20150808_110940.jpg
20150808_111156.jpg

I told them I wanted to be free to drive my Coronet anytime any day and they would not insure me even though my car is a low dollar 4 door. I mean it is not like I drive all that much anyway. I think I will call them back and see if we can clear things up.

I have Hagerty on my daughters 1956 Hudson Hornet and they have been reasonably priced to me, but them her car is not a high dollar Mopar.

View attachment 388705 View attachment 388706

I told them I wanted to be free to drive my Coronet anytime any day and they would not insure me even though my car is a low dollar 4 door. I mean it is not like I drive all that much anyway. I think I will call them back and see if we can clear things up.

Oh I love that car!

Unfortunately, my car will look like it needs to be on the 'used' lot. Paint is a 7 out of 10 on this car, which is fine with me. Won't be sweating at every car show protecting the car from scratches, etc.

Cross your finders and say a prayer! I may have the car late tomorrow night in my garage!

Do not feel alone, my paint is probably worse than yours and there are cracks at the roof seam. I had money set aside to have the body work and paint done this summer, then that black 69 Vette came along, and unfortunately I do not have money to do both. So if it works out, I will buy the Vette and drive the Coronet with her "patina" while I save for her paint job. We have a weekly unofficial car show at the local Safeway every Wednesday and no one wants to park near me. I am the only Mopar usually, but I think they are afraid they will catch something from my car...........whatever!

Road Runner will be picked up at 9AM tomorrow, but probably not back to Tucson until 4PM. That works out perfectly as I won't have to leave the office too early to meet the car!

I'll post updates tomorrow night if all goes well.

Well she is home and safe in my garage! The trailer guy said two people called him while en route to Tucson on I10 asking if the Road Runner was for sale. He had to deliver a new Caddy at a Phoenix dealership, so the Road Runner was pulled off the trailer and parked in front of the showroom. He took the Caddy off next and drove it to the back service department. When he walked back to the Road runner it had a crowd of customers and salesmen asking if he would honk the horn. He said the people were fascinated with the BEEP BEEP.

Cost me about $1.21 per mile to trailer from New River, AZ. Not bad. Probably would have cost me more to drive the car down here myself with another car following round trip.

I've got my requisite application of DRIWASH on the car now. Will do a little detailing under the hood after dinner.

Wife and daughter love the car, so I'm safe.

More when I get it licensed.

Some Pics taken today.

20170118_155822.jpg 20170118_155346.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back