• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dual pickup distributor

Fran Blacker

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:08 AM
Reaction score
Never saw one of these. If you wanted to run two ignition systems for dual plug heads would it work? Thought that someone made this perhaps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-41457...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
dp dist.PNG

Not sure, but if it is like the distributor in my 87 truck, the second pickup is for the starting circuit only.

start/run. dual plug would need provisions for another set of plug wires; basically two distributors.

Post sounds dumb , no way to run two sets of wires.
A second dumb question. Could you run a electronic distributor with no electronic box? Was thinking run 6v through a relay to coil and use distributor to trigger relay, to act like points opening. Is this possible?

Could you run a electronic distributor with no electronic box? Was thinking run 6v through a relay to coil and use distributor to trigger relay, to act like points opening. Is this possible?

I doubt the reluctor/trigger coil setup could produce enough power to energise any relay, let alone one capable of switching coil current.

Let's pretend it did, then the delay between energising the relay and its contacts closing would affect your timing accuracy (increasingly worse with RPM).

At 600 RPM, crank turn 10 times/sec and (on a 8 cyl) coil energises 40 times/sec = 40Hz. At 6000 RPM it is 400Hz.

No relay I've ever seen is capable of this!

Memory fade here, but weren't those used on the "Lean Burn" systems of the late '70's?

Memory fade here, but weren't those used on the "Lean Burn" systems of the late '70's?
i think your right. i always wondered about using one of those distributors with a crank trigger. the shaft can be used for a locked out distributor with a single pick-up.

It's in fact for the lean burn cars. One of the pickups is just for the starting circuit and the other one for the run circuit which by a relay makes the selection of which pick up will be working depending of the stage of the ign system, start or run. I have the diagram, somewhere.

The pickup for the starting stage sets the spark a bit advanced as far I recall for a faster start up.

I do believe it retards timing to aid in starting. Think about it why would you want to add more advance to an engine that has already been advanced to just under the point of detonation. It may start cold but advancing hot engine time has not worked well.

Please let this stupid thread die! Totally didn't think the first post. Feel like the dumbest bunny on the block.

I do believe it retards timing to aid in starting. Think about it why would you want to add more advance to an engine that has already been advanced to just under the point of detonation. It may start cold but advancing hot engine time has not worked well.

yes, maybe you are alright. I can't tell it

Please let this stupid thread die! Totally didn't think the first post. Feel like the dumbest bunny on the block.

sorry, it's late! already done LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back