• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dunkirk Official Trailer

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:02 AM
Reaction score
Dunkirk is an upcoming 2017 British war film...Looks like a good one..

World War II: The Battle And Evacuation Of Dunkirk | Owlcation
tumblr_oi2xb33OxD1qej1i6o1_500.png

I know a little about Dunkirk. I hope it is historically accurate. It seems the Nazis could have killed them all but didn't. the Nazis sure ended up with a lot of equipment, guns and ammo the British left behind. It seems British action films have a lot of talking and are short on action. I hope this is not the case.

One of the most fortunate events of the war for the allies. The Germans most crack Panzer Units had the entire British Expeditionary Force (close to half a million troops) trapped against the coast at Dunkirk. Poor weather kept the luftwaffe from helping and the Panzer were stretched beyond their supply lines. In a rare moment of caution, Hitler ordered his armies to halt while their supplies caught up. This two day pause enabled the Royal Navy and civilian sailors to evacuate the army to fight another day.
In hindsight the Nazis could have and should have annihilated their adversaries. This would have left the Nazis to focus solely on the Eastern front. As the Americans had yet to join the war, and may have remained static if the British had already been defeated.

this was 1940 and Hitler still dreamed of an English capitulation with him becoming a "lord"

I took my Uncle to see the movie yesterday afternoon. I asked him what he thought of the movie when it was over. Not being a veteran for physical reasons, he said it was educational. I suppose he was just being polite.

If you saw the trailer that's all you need. Don't waste your money on this one. It's not like the fighting retreat depicted in the Chosin documentary. Sure, there was some OK air-to-air combat scenes but nothing more than a few lines on a black background for an introduction and a young British soldier running away from the enemy.

Frankly, if I were British or the director, I would be embarrassed by this movie.

I wondered whether or not it was worth watching. Thanks for the thumbs down. Not all war movies are good ones.

Internet Movie Data Base (IMDB) rating as of today is 8.7, which is way up there. I have not seen it. "Chosin" is rated 8.4, to each his own.

John Wayne's 1962 war movie "The Longest Day" only rates a 7.8 as of today.

If you haven't learned by now to pay no attention to those who make a living from movie reviews and ratings maybe you never will.

I suppose you trust the political polls, too.

If you think Dunkirk will be anything like Saving Private Ryan, Flags Of Our Fathers, or the recent Hacksaw Ridge, you will be very disappointed my friend.

I believe IMDB ratings are based on viewer votes, not film critics, but either way one has to actually experience the movie and make up his/her own mind. I just check those ratings out of curiosity, sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't. For example, "Avatar" and "The Longest Day" are both rated at 7.8. "Avatar" was computer generated nonsense and "The Longest Day" will forever be a great classic!

Chosin is a must watch documentary.
I watch British war movies just to learn that the British pretty much whipped Hitler all alone.
Don't miss John Rabe for a factual movie.

I saw a documentary recently on Hitler.
It said that Hitler didn't really want to destroy the English.
He thought they were very close to "Germans"
It could have been one of this fellow's documentaries.
Maybe not
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reynolds_(British_historian)

I went to see it Friday .Thought it was good, not your typical blood and guts war film. aircraft looked correct. movie was not to long either.I have been to the imperial war museum in Duxford England .They have top notch restoration program and some great flying examples of the Spitfires, Supermarine Spitfires, Hurricanes ...If your ever over there do find the time to check it out you won't be disappointed.
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/five-things-know-about-spitfire-legend-dunkirk

Last edited:
Looks like a good movie...
I will see it...

But I can wait tell it's on TV,
not a big fan of the walk in theater experience, at all...
Man I wish we still had drive-ins...
Than I'd probably go regularly, or at-least once in a while...

Looks like a good movie...
I will see it...

But I can wait tell it's on TV,
not a big fan of the walk in theater experience, at all...
Man I wish we still had drive-ins...
Than I'd probably go regularly, or at-least once in a while...
And if you drive your RR. You could smuggle at least 6 people in your trunk.
:lol:

The wife and I saw it yesterday. Wasn't impressed. Actually other than the fact that it was a true story - I thought it was boring. Wouldn't spend the $ again.

If you haven't learned by now to pay no attention to those who make a living from movie reviews and ratings maybe you never will.

I suppose you trust the political polls, too.

If you think Dunkirk will be anything like Saving Private Ryan, Flags Of Our Fathers, or the recent Hacksaw Ridge, you will be very disappointed my friend.
I can't say I thought much of those movies either. They all suffer from the same problem, and that is they don't portray the reality of war. Combat is not an action movie, but that's all these folks like to portray it. The best description of combat is still "hours of boredom interrupted by seconds of stark terror", but that doesn't make for a good movie. So the movie makers collect up every horrible story they can find and blend it all together so it keeps the action moving.

Auto Transport Service
Back