• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-cutouts and H pipe

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
can anyone tell me where to install electronic cutouts in the exhaust? Should they go before or after the H pipe? Is there a recommended distance from the collector or does it not matter? Easiest for me would be after the H pipe which is a few feet from the collector.

Steve,
I believe cutout placement should mimic headers with collector extensions, so a close to header position would be preferred. I put mine right at the crossmember, ahead of my X-pipe. The difference the cutouts made (3"system, dumping ahead of axle) was 20 HP on Steve Morris' chassis dyno. I have been disappointed in Flowmasters since then.
Mike

Steve,
I believe cutout placement should mimic headers with collector extensions, so a close to header position would be preferred. I put mine right at the crossmember, ahead of my X-pipe. The difference the cutouts made (3"system, dumping ahead of axle) was 20 HP on Steve Morris' chassis dyno. I have been disappointed in Flowmasters since then.
Mike
You gained 20hp on the chassis dyno with cutouts? That's pretty impressive.

Running Flowmasters, I'm not surprised. They restrict so much flow.

Dynomax is the move!

dammit it have flowmasters... guess im leaving the cutouts open! haha

I have my QTP cutouts located in the reducer before the H-pipe. So it goes header/reducer-cutout/H-pipe.

I have Flowmasters too, but really really want Magnaflows. Dynomaxs are too sleepy FOR ME.

I have my QTP's right after my x-pipe for clearance reasons.

Steve,
Mike
Did you happen to dyno before and after the H pipe?Just wondering how much difference the H pipe makes. Thanks

It more just gets rid of that drone sound when on the highway. There is a good episode of engine masters that compares straight to H to X pipes.

For better fitting I ended up going headers, reducers, cutouts, H-pipe, then mufflers in that order.

Any negative comments on using Borla mufflers on my 440 69 GTX. Im looking for an aggressive muscle car sound. Was also thinking about series 10 flowmasters, but cant find anyone around me running them. The videos ive seen/heard on YouTube dont tell me anything. Recording sounds using a cell phone just don't do sound justice. Im also doing a complete new 3" exhaust system with my cutouts before the cross over pipe. Does an H pipe really cut down on the resonance inside the car? I dont mind loud, but I cant stand that drone!!! Right now Im running old school woodpecker glass packs!!!
Please be tactful in your response!! :lol:

Any negative comments on using Borla mufflers on my 440 69 GTX. Im looking for an aggressive muscle car sound. Was also thinking about series 10 flowmasters, but cant find anyone around me running them. The videos ive seen/heard on YouTube dont tell me anything. Recording sounds using a cell phone just don't do sound justice. Im also doing a complete new 3" exhaust system with my cutouts before the cross over pipe. Does an H pipe really cut down on the resonance inside the car? I dont mind loud, but I cant stand that drone!!! Right now Im running old school woodpecker glass packs!!!
Please be tactful in your response!! :lol:

H and X pipes really do help with drone. the difference between the X and the H are minimal but are definitely an improvement in sound over 2 straight pipes.

I think with a 3" exhaust it will sound badass whether you use flowmasters or dynomax (quieter). magnaflows are loud as hell and have this weird tinny sound in my opinion especially when revs are coming down. my choice is flowmaster all the way.

Auto Transport Service
Back