• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock E-Street Head & Piston Selection & Cam Questions 440

PurpleBeeper

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I have some Edelbrock E-Street #5093 (84cc) heads on the way for a PURE STREET (almost) 440 I'm putting together. I will be running a very mild hydraulic flat-tappet cam in it (like a comp cams XE274 or "hemi grind" purple shaft).

Question #1:
I just saw this note on the Edelbrock site. I'm running a direct connection (stock style) electronic ignition distributor. Will I have any clearance issues? If so, what do I do?

INSTALLATION NOTE: Deck thickness: 5/8", pushrod diameter: 3/8". Vacuum advance distributor may not clear cylinder head.

Question #2:
What are some good, relatively inexpensive (less than $800/set) 2618 alloy forged pistons, for occasional nitrous use, with 0.990" wrist pins, that are as light as possible? I'm targeting in the 9:1 or 9.5:1 static compression range since I want to be sure it can run on 91-octane gas (when not running nitrous) with the 84cc cylinder heads. It's a stock stroke 440. I'd prefer valve reliefs for the larger valves (2.14"/1.81") "just in case" I ever put a larger cam in this motor. What pistons do you think I should look at? Is 9-9.5 to 1 a reasonable compression ratio target?

Question #3:

What are some flat-tappet hydraulic cams I should consider? I know I need to keep the cam very mild since I plan to run 2.76 rear end gears and a 4spd. This motor is intended for long-distance cruising.

THANKS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!

Only one i can answer now is #1 now I’m not 100% (95ish) sure but I think you will be ok with clearance, I know the vacuum advance MSD RTR unit will not fit.

use the Icon 836 piston and if you can afford it match them with 440 Source h-beam rods. compression will about 9.75:1 with those heads. I run this combo and love it. very pump gas friendly and takes about 3/4lb off each cylinder in reciprocating weight vs stock stuff.

the mopar vacuum advance distributor will clear.

i'm not in love with those comp cams hydraulics but the 274 would probably work.

If it's a stock height distributor then most likely will NOT fit if the diameter is similar to the MSD RTR. MSD Pro series PN8546 (I think) for the 440, is a couple inches higher and will clear, but may interfere with the stock fresh air breather. I had to notch mine out a little.

I'm not 100% sure (95%). LOL!

use the Icon 836 piston and if you can afford it match them with 440 Source h-beam rods. compression will about 9.75:1 with those heads. I run this combo and love it. very pump gas friendly and takes about 3/4lb off each cylinder in reciprocating weight vs stock stuff.

the mopar vacuum advance distributor will clear.

i'm not in love with those comp cams hydraulics but the 274 would probably work.

I looked at those ICON 836 pistons and I'd say they are just about perfect, 2618 forged, $630 at Summit, available .030" & .040", and .990" pins with estimated 9-9.5:1 with 844 heads & .035" gasket & valve reliefs. Those are dead-on!

What would you suggest as a better cam for my highway-gear "cruiser motor"?

1: You could always offset the intermediate shaft by a tooth or two or three ....
This would reposition the vacuum canister.

2: With aluminum heads, and a small cam, I’d look for a static ratio at 9.0-1.
Save the .5 ratio for a wider margin of octane safety. It’s not worth any mention on the gain in power.
FWIW;
I run at 11-1 with cams as low as 248*@.050 on pump 93.
(Both Hyd. & solid designs.)

3: Cam size; A 4spd manual can tolerate a larger cam than an automatic trans and is normally recommended as such for racing or heavy hitter street cars.
But @ that low ratio!
Heck ... a factory Road Runner cam would do. Can you Squeeze in 1.6 Rocker ratio rockers into the budget?
The head has great flow over stock and find it pointless (if not crazy) to use them without getting the valve to lift up.

Oh! A lighter stronger slug than stock on a fresh rebuild? Oh yea! That’s a roger! A no brainer for me. I say go for it!

Comp cam - Cl21-227-4
Sealed Power L2355f pistons

I thought the Eddy E-street heads were 75 cc's ? Or do they have more then one selection as I have not kept up on them but I thought I remembered they had the smaller comb chambers so they could be bolted right on some Mopar bigblocks and have about 9.5 to 10.0 true comp with the 75 cc chambers ? But I may be wrong as like I said I have not stayed up on them. Ron

I looked at those ICON 836 pistons and I'd say they are just about perfect, 2618 forged, $630 at Summit, available .030" & .040", and .990" pins with estimated 9-9.5:1 with 844 heads & .035" gasket & valve reliefs. Those are dead-on!

What would you suggest as a better cam for my highway-gear "cruiser motor"?
Great advise.
If you are considering buying new rods you can go this route as well. Offset grind a 440 crank to 3.90 that will bring it to BBC rod journals. Then buy 6.70 BBC rods that are even lighter and use 440 2.06 pistons like those icons. It fits perfect to the deck and adds about 20 inches with a much lighter assembly. Makes great power. Use a 226 lunati voodoo cam and you will have a very street freindly 500 HP engine that will makes very good torque. You can do the same using a BBC 7.10 rod like the 505 stroker and those icon 1.66 CH pistons to make it even lighter and keep rod ratio to 1.8 which is even better. Really the only added cost which is cheap is machining the crank which is not expensive at all. Good luck with your build

Comp cam - Cl21-227-4
Sealed Power L2355f pistons

This looks like a good cam choice. I'm running a XE274H now & that "high lift" version is pretty much identical, but with .525"'ish lift vs. .480"'ish lift. I think I will have to try the 2.76 gear with my current motor to see if my current cam is tame enough for them, if so, then the XE274HL might help me take a little advantage out of the larger valves.

The E-streets come in both 75cc & 84cc combustion chambers and I got a sweet-heart deal on the 84cc type at about the same price as rebuilding some iron heads ($500), so I couldn't pass them up, even on this "pure street" engine.

Stroking is just not in the budget on this motor. I have to go ULTRA cheap. I got lucky on the heads, I got a set of LY rods with ARP bolts already reconditioned with .990" bushings on the small end for $80 & a 4spd crank std/std for $150. I think the only thing I'm going to buy new is the ICON pistons lewtot recommended and a Mancini 6qt oil pan kit for $260'ish with the pan/pickup/windage tray/oil pump/pan bolts. Everything else I'm piecing together from other people's extra parts.

This looks like a good cam choice. I'm running a XE274H now & that "high lift" version is pretty much identical, but with .525"'ish lift vs. .480"'ish lift. I think I will have to try the 2.76 gear with my current motor to see if my current cam is tame enough for them, if so, then the XE274HL might help me take a little advantage out of the larger valves.

The E-streets come in both 75cc & 84cc combustion chambers and I got a sweet-heart deal on the 84cc type at about the same price as rebuilding some iron heads ($500), so I couldn't pass them up, even on this "pure street" engine.

Stroking is just not in the budget on this motor. I have to go ULTRA cheap. I got lucky on the heads, I got a set of LY rods with ARP bolts already reconditioned with .990" bushings on the small end for $80 & a 4spd crank std/std for $150. I think the only thing I'm going to buy new is the ICON pistons lewtot recommended and a Mancini 6qt oil pan kit for $260'ish with the pan/pickup/windage tray/oil pump/pan bolts. Everything else I'm piecing together from other people's extra parts.
Where are you getting the oil pan kit from. I like the price!

comp cams XE274 is a universal chevy grind- Mopar is better but still dated- there are more modern choices
2 light as possible and nitrous do not go together
light as possible is drag only - not even street
3 Jones Mopar special on the intake, whatever he chooses on the exhaust or try and pick a .904 lifter grind but bvvc on duration creep with that diff

x2 on the 1.6 rocker on the intake- not needed on the exhaust

Cl21-227-4 resonable choice but I'd keep it under 270 with those gears around town- ok on the freeway

I thought the Eddy E-street heads were 75 cc's - me to 75cc would give you too much compression- you can most likely open them up to 80 or use more dish in the pistons or send the pistons to Texas for more dish- keep the quench tight
later The E-streets come in both 75cc & 84cc combustion chambers GOOD TO KNOW

#10 Great ideas

" I think I will have to try the 2.76 gear with my current motor to see if my current cam is tame enough for them, if so, then the XE274HL might help me take a little advantage out of the larger valves." PLEASE DO

Everything else I'm piecing together from other people's extra parts.

LUV IT
please report on your cam test

I have been looking at the 75cc version E-Street heads (5090). First off, you can get away with much more compression. I have iron 915 heads and I'm at 10.6 to 1 and use 93 octane and have used 87 accidentally without any detonation. With aluminum heads you will be fine even at 11.0 to 1 because the aluminum dissipates heat much faster. The cam selection plays into this as well to bleed off some compression. I recommend the 284/484 if you go with a Purpleshaft. The compression number you really want to watch is dynamic compression and you want to keep it under 8.3 to 1 for pump gas. Take a good look at Wiesco for pistons. I pushed the limits with my street 440 put she really hauls and I have no regrets or disappointments. .....an oh yea, I use a 175 hp shot of nitrous occasionally.

sounds like a good combination
more compression and close the intake later
I would not do it with 2 series gears 3.54 sure
I have not looked at Wiesco for awhile- will do
We can't get 93 here in California
My motorhome combination was 915- under 9:1 and 256 on the intake @006
on heavy transit busses on Propane even shorter cam- 248 area special for .904 lifter
That combination of tight quench and short cam and low overlap cut exhaust temp 900 degrees- same theory with any 413-440- real easy to flow fuel out the exhaust with a MOPAR drag- who cares-
long distance racing it makes a big difference and on street- real easy to overheat the two center ex valves

For the cam, find someone you trust that specs cam as part of their business and have them spec something and it might be a custom grind. I'm not talking cam manufacturers, I'm talking about guys that regularly spec cams for their customers that they have built a relationship with.

I'm not big into the fast rate hydraulics, and would consider something ground with a Comp Magnum or Thumpr lobe on a wider LSA like 112°. The Crower 271 would be a good off the shelf cam for you IMO.

avoid the comp cams 275hl. the howards 720141-12 may fit the bill. be careful of closing the intake valve too soon and getting into detonation when lugging the engine with that 2.76 gear. some of this may depend on rocker arms too. I've found in near stock stuff closing the intake valve around 70 degrees (maybe a little more) ABDC seems to give the best overall drivability and performance.

Auto Transport Service
Back