• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock EPS 800

junkpile

Local time
10:40 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone run ad Edelbrock EPS 800 on a 440 with a 484/284 cam?

I am presently running a 750 and have had bogging issues that I cant get rid of. My timing is right on at 12 initial and 34 total. I am in the middle of changing to use .113 primary jets with .075 x.037 metering rods, I have the .043 nozzels already in. I know thru a lot of crazy math that this will give me the same "cruise" mode as I have now with the .110 jet and the .071 rod. and the cruise mode is great but WOT get a bog that is not only humiliating but will get me hit pulling into traffic. If I lift a little it goes great.

My car is set up linkage wise and coil placement wise for an EDDY so I would like to stay with one if i can get rid of the bog. I have heard the EPS 800 would great and will get rid of the bog, but before i spend the cash I want to make sure it is the solution to my problem, after all if I am going to get a new carb it had better solve this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help

Are you using a vacuum advance on the ditributor? If so, are you using the ported advance or manifold vacuum?

manifold vacuum. the right side port on the carb.

Are you using a vacuum advance on the ditributor? If so, are you using the ported advance or manifold vacuum?
I was watching some videos about these ports, and heard the same things said about both of them! One video said to always use the ported advance or you'll get poor mileage, reduced power, the world will end, etc. The other video said to use the manifold port or you'll get poor mileage, reduced power, the world will end, etc.

I was watching some videos about these ports, and heard the same things said about both of them! One video said to always use the ported advance or you'll get poor mileage, reduced power, the world will end, etc. The other video said to use the manifold port or you'll get poor mileage, reduced power, the world will end, etc.
I went with FBOs recomendation to use manifold vacuum, that was against everything I have ever heard and thought I knew but I can tell you that the car runs better like this than ever.

manifold vacuum. the right side port on the carb.
Ok, I was reaching. My timing is at 18 intitial, 30 with the vacuum attached at idle. All in is 36. You might try bringing it up a notch and see how it runs. If timing is correct, usually a bog is too much fuel too fast.

Ok, I was reaching. My timing is at 18 intitial, 30 with the vacuum attached at idle. All in is 36. You might try bringing it up a notch and see how it runs. If timing is correct, usually a bog is too much fuel too fast.

X2 on trying some more timing.

get rid of the .043" squirter and go down to a .028". big squirters don't work on the street! use the top hole on the pump arm. use a .104" primary jet with a .065"x.047" rod.

I was gonna say- make sure the accell pump and squirters are working.

not sure how down sizing will get rid of the WOT bog. The 440 is .030 over with a 484/284 cam. very little vacuum available. The cruise mode is perfect, can drive it anywhere even in heavy traffic with no issues. Drove the car from Atlanta GA to Lake George NY with no running issues, just that bog when you hit WOT. I have been selecting metering rod and jet combo's that allow the close to the same cross sectional area of flow that I have now in the cruise mode but increase the flow in the power mode. Edelbrock suggested the 43 squiters and it did help the car out but still the bog persists. The EPS 800 has the same flow on the cruise mode that I currently run on the 750 but I have no clue if its better for my car. I have been told by an Edelbrock vendor that it is a better carb for the big block but I don't know of anyone running one. I just want something that will work without having to change the cam. In the future I may have no choice but to change the cam if I cant get rid of the bog.

not sure how down sizing will get rid of the WOT bog. The 440 is .030 over with a 484/284 cam. very little vacuum available. The cruise mode is perfect, can drive it anywhere even in heavy traffic with no issues. Drove the car from Atlanta GA to Lake George NY with no running issues, just that bog when you hit WOT. I have been selecting metering rod and jet combo's that allow the close to the same cross sectional area of flow that I have now in the cruise mode but increase the flow in the power mode. Edelbrock suggested the 43 squiters and it did help the car out but still the bog persists. The EPS 800 has the same flow on the cruise mode that I currently run on the 750 but I have no clue if its better for my car. I have been told by an Edelbrock vendor that it is a better carb for the big block but I don't know of anyone running one. I just want something that will work without having to change the cam. In the future I may have no choice but to change the cam if I cant get rid of the bog.
What do the plugs look like? Can you take a few pictures and post? Need to see all angles including the back and sides of the ground strap. Or if you want, you can pull some and compare here: http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html

you'll have the same issues with the 800. both have crummy calibration out of the box. big squirters don't work.

I doubt a bigger carb will fix the issue. I think a 750 cfm carburetor is plenty for your engine. I would look to the accelerator pumps for the problem.

I will try to get pictures of the plugs this weekend if I have time, busy work schedule.

talked to Edelbrock tech line, they did not suggest using any carb even when I asked. They suggested going to the .113 jet and experiment with the 3 different metering rod choices that "may" work. I don't want to run too rich but the tech guy said that I should richen up the cruise mode so when I hit WOT there is enough fuel to compensate till the secondary power mode can kick in.

Right now I have been trying to get rid of the bog for 2 years, and just babying this car around town. It used to run 13:90s in the 1/4 and now I cant even open it up on the street a little. I will check the plugs as suggested but I guess I am just confused on what will get rid of this bog when all else seem great. I could drive this thing across country (if i could afford the gas) without an issue so long as I did not try to open it up from a standing start.

I do appreciate all the advice, you guys are great and informative.

I will try to get pictures of the plugs this weekend if I have time, busy work schedule.

talked to Edelbrock tech line, they did not suggest using any carb even when I asked. They suggested going to the .113 jet and experiment with the 3 different metering rod choices that "may" work. I don't want to run too rich but the tech guy said that I should richen up the cruise mode so when I hit WOT there is enough fuel to compensate till the secondary power mode can kick in.

Right now I have been trying to get rid of the bog for 2 years, and just babying this car around town. It used to run 13:90s in the 1/4 and now I cant even open it up on the street a little. I will check the plugs as suggested but I guess I am just confused on what will get rid of this bog when all else seem great. I could drive this thing across country (if i could afford the gas) without an issue so long as I did not try to open it up from a standing start.

I do appreciate all the advice, you guys are great and informative.
The plugs will tell you what is going on. When you get the time, check your findings against the info from 4secondsflat and get back to us on what you find out.

What's the setup on the rest of your car?

I had a bear of a time dialing in a carb on my 9.5:1 383 with that same cam.

Cam was degreed and car was auto with stock converter and 3.55 gears.

650 was too small and 750 was too big no matter the jest and valves.

I finally built a 650 with a 750 rear block and valve and that ended up working.

IMG_0538.JPG
Setup, wow its been15 years since the engine was built and I hate to be a bad car guy but I forgot the compression ratio. The rest is,,,,440 , .030 over, 484/284 cam, 2500 stall converter on 727 automatic, 3:23 gears posi. stock heads, stock HP exhaust manifolds.

Sorry, thought it was a 383.

Bill Monk, thanks for the link to the spark plugs. I appear to be running lean. Love that link.

I was ready to take off the carb on Thursday evening and up the jets and rods when I got a call from Smitty Smith with Edelbrock. ( I was trying to get in touch with him, I was told he was the Mopar guy to talk to at Edelbrock). After explaining the issue with the bog, and advise I had received from other techs at edelbrock, and what I had done to the carb, He told me I had made two mistakes. (1) I have 8" vacuum at idle (I put in a silver step up spring) I should have divided that number in half to get 4" vacuum and use the YELLOW step up spring. (2) I needed to richen up the cruise mode not the power mode. this is due to the lag between the two modes in the carb. He said my .043 accelerator pump nozzles were good to go. This was his suggestion on setup....

.110 jets, .070x.037 metering rods, YELLOW step up springs, .043 accelerator pump nozzles. on the 750 edelbrock

I was a little skeptical, I have gotten advise from them before that did not work but this guy Smitty, he know his stuff. I took the car out Friday evening after the 5 minutes it took to change things up. the car ran as always until I hit WOT from a standing start. it burned the tires and kept pulling, no bog, no stumble no issues. I ran that car for about two hours that night hard accelerating every chance I got, and no bog in any situation. That bog seems to have just gone away, and its like driving a different car. since this is GA I will still have to try it out on a hot humid day but so far its good to go.

Thanks to everyone for the help your suggestions got me on the right track.

OH FORGOT, below is my motor specs that the new carb specs worked on.

440, +.030 over, 484/284 purple cam, 12 degrees initial, 34 total, running 2800 stall converter on 727 auto.

750 edelbrock .110 jets, 070x037 rods, with .043 accelerator pump Nozzels.

Idle RPM is 1000, idle in gear is about 900. this seems to have gotten rid of the WOT bog

Auto Transport Service
Back