• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock EPS 800

UPDATE UPDATE
I found that as the humidity increased and temps got to the low 90s the bog came back. I fixed it and actually got a better throttle response buy changing just two things.

I brought the idle RPM up to 1100 in park and its at 1000 in gear, yea a little high and I will lower it a little but hear me out. I did this to get the engine vacuum to 10"HG. if you divide that by 2 you get 5" HG. This would increase the spring to the ORANGE 5" HG one in the tuning kit. It is a littler richer setup but not too bad. Tested the car in a parking lot with low 80's temp., 90% humidity and engine temp at 195 on 93 octane pump gas. Mid/heavy acceleration NO BOG, heavy acceleration (squeeling tires) NO BOG, pinned pedal to floor, spun tires pulled all the way out NO BOG. lastly 2nd gear start full WOT smoked tires, car pulled sideways NO BOG even barked the tires shifting up to drive. Now I think I finally got this solved. My motor likes things a little rich but its not to bad and plugs look good. I am going to try to knock the RPM down to 900 or 950 and see what happens.

thanks everyone for the advice I do appreciate it. I hope this thread helps someone else with the same issue. Edlebrock may be a pain to adjust but it can be done. Can't wait to get time to take it to the strip and get some real numbers now that its acting right.

Keep em between the ditches.

I think, reading the setup and the "fix", that the cause for then it is low vacuum, and the fix for low vacuum is either replace the cam with something better, or failing that degree it and install it at a 104* ICL. My impression is that it's in retarded. You should not have, or need, an 1100 rpm "idle". By upping it that far you have moved off the idle circuit in the carb into the transition circuit. That's exasperating the bog too.

I have the idle rpm (in gear at 950) and all is working well, no bogs, driving around town is great, even general riding the back roads is great. The cold start idle is at 1100 rpm but backs off automatically to about 1000, when fully warmed up its right at 950. If I set any lower (850) it has poor idle, the cam has been in this car for 16 years. its been a carb issue since I stopped racing it an tried to make it more of a street car. The car has had limited use but its nice to get it running smooth and very driveable.

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

same carb same engine same cam...same settings. My vacuum is around 9, idling sucks but it screams at high rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back