• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition suggestions for 440 6 pack

Jason69 RR

Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score
Evening guys,

I am looking for suggestions for a "bullet proof" electronic ignition setup for the 440 6pk in my 69 RR. Right now the motor is stock other than headers. Eventually I would like to have some motor work done... (aluminum heads...cam....etc. etc.).

I changed the points out last summer to a pertronix conversion kit, and added a Flame Thrower II coil. This spring I am doing an under dash and engine compartment wiring harness as some of the wiring was "old and tired". I am a newbie, but love to tinker. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!! Mopar or No car.:headbang:

Thanks troops!

Cheers

Jason

MSD price, ease and quality hard to beat.
other great brands out there but i only have experience with MSD

MSD 6al ignition box
MSD blaster 2 coil
MSD HEI distributor w/vac can
MSD 8.5 leads

yup...it is...may be a GM thing, but it's more common to find a GM module on any parts store than MSD parts if you need something right away...GM used this for years..it's a good system, I'm just cleaning up all the other parts and connections that can cause trouble down the road

I went with a Firecore distributor along with the standard orange box and MP electronic pigtail on my latest project.

I run the Pertronix II with my 440 6-pack set up and it seems to work fine.

I don't have a 6 bbl but I use the MSD 6AL works fine plug and play 3 years in now just fine.

MSD 6al2 programmable, blaster 2 could and pro billet distributor working very well for me.

msd price, ease and quality hard to beat.
Other great brands out there but i only have experience with msd

msd 6al ignition box
msd blaster 2 coil
msd hei distributor w/vac can
msd 8.5 leads
-
-x2

for simplicity & if it's mainly a street car, restoration the Mopar Performance adjustable Chrysler CEI a comes with a mild performance Orange box usually, I have used a Chrome box & Blaster 2 coil for the street {IIRC 20*'s of dwell good to 8,000 with no issues}
& a Gold race box, S/S coil plug & play for occasional track use... if you want to keep it somewhat stock looking

I'm a proponent of MSD's also, keeps combustion chamber clean & a longer hotter dwell spark timing...

- - - Updated - - -

The rev-N-nator boxes www.thertgarage.com are also a plug & play with the CEI style distributors too

also the Mancini Racing kits Firecore or the Mopar Performance packages

Attachments

• Chrysler Electronic Ignition CEI-ICU MP Chrome Ignition Box.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 pin Ballast & Electronic Volt. Regulator.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 6,812
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition Vacuum Distributor air gap .008 view #11.gif
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition Vacuum Distributor air gap .008 view #11.gif
    37.2 KB · Views: 721
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 2 Pin Ballast w-4-pin module.jpg
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 2 Pin Ballast w-4-pin module.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3,996
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 Pin Ballast w-5-pin module.jpg
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition Wire Diagram 4 Pin Ballast w-5-pin module.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition CEI-ICU #1 Rev-N-Nator www.thertgarage.com.jpg
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition CEI-ICU #1 Rev-N-Nator www.thertgarage.com.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 413
  • Chrysler Electronic Ignition CEI-ICU #2 Rev-N-Nator Black.jpg
    Chrysler Electronic Ignition CEI-ICU #2 Rev-N-Nator Black.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 416
  • MRE Mancini Racing firecore electronic distributor conversion kits 361-383-400 MRE90427 $239.jpg
    MRE Mancini Racing firecore electronic distributor conversion kits 361-383-400 MRE90427 $239.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 395
  • MRE Chrysler electronic distributor conversion kits w-orange box 361-383-400 MRE-6993 $199.95.jpg
    MRE Chrysler electronic distributor conversion kits w-orange box 361-383-400 MRE-6993 $199.95.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 377
$165 Firecore Plug and Play distributor and a $40 Orange box. Get 2 Orange boxes and carry one for a spare.
Cheap, simple and easy to tune.

Can't you get a Firecore dist that doesn't need the orange box and ballast res? I might be mistaken but I thought they had one.

Can't you get a Firecore dist that doesn't need the orange box and ballast res? I might be mistaken but I thought they had one.

Yes you can get a RTR Firecore. I like the idea if (when) the orange box takes a dump you can plug in another and get home. If the module in a Firecore or any other manufactures RTR goes south where are you going to get a replacement?

Auto Transport Service
Back