• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emblem change, removing resin

wsutard

Local time
6:56 AM
Reaction score
I went to change out my hood emblems and noticed that the posts of the current ones have been resined in to the backside of the scoop.

Any suggestions for how to best remove the resin without damaging the scoop?
IMG_2229.JPG

Might be tough. Maybe 'cut' the nut loose from the resin, so you can turn it loose?

miller has a good idea & I would try that first. It depends on what type of "resin" is and what the hood is made of. For example, if it's a fiberglass hood (polyester resin) and the resin is polyester, there's no good "chemical" way to remove the resin without damaging the hood too.

IF that IS the case, then I'd suggest use Miller's idea & then very carefully cut/grind/scrap the "resin" just enough to get your emblem free.

The scoop is fiberglass, not sure of the resin. I guess I will try and scrape it away. Now I know why I have 440 Magnum badges while I have a 340 under them.

One last thought. From the photo, it's possible that the resin could also be 'under' the nut. If so, that nut is like welded to the emblem stud. Might consider (somehow) cutting the nut itself.

I say cut the resin around the base of the nut with a razor blade. Around the top of the nut where the stud sticks out the top. Then tighten the nut slightly. Then turn ccw. Work it back and forth til you can remove the nut.

Auto Transport Service
Back