• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine builder with blower knowledge!!!

CRAWDADDY

Local time
2:38 PM
Reaction score
if I want to build a blown 512 big block with a 8/71 blower what exactly do I need to buy besides 440 source striker kit ? A list ????? It's for a prostreet b body

for show or race? You could make more power than a stock block can handle.
Short block normally has lower compression and wider piston ring gaps.
Cam timing usually wider LSA to reduce overlap

I want at least 850 to 1000 horsepower I was going to build a 540 naturally aspirated big block But after talking with others and looking online would it be cheaper to build like a 500 to 512 that will run pump gas and a blower 440 source stroker kit and a set of 270 trick flow Im going to pro street it and race. What is my cheapest route to make 900 horsepower without buying aftermarket block ???????? Will a 512 or 540 stroker kit and 270 trickflows heads make that much horsepower????

I dunno how long a 1000hp factory 440 block will last, my guess is not very long. That kind of power you need to go aftermarket IMO

Probaly looking at between 12-15k in the engine alone, I think that might be a bit conservative... then you gotta think about trans and rearend add another 8-10k

I do understand your desire.

8.25.17 030.jpg 8.26.17 009.jpg 8.26.17 010.jpg

I want at least 850 to 1000 horsepower I was going to build a 540 naturally aspirated big block But after talking with others and looking online would it be cheaper to build like a 500 to 512 that will run pump gas and a blower 440 source stroker kit and a set of 270 trick flow Im going to pro street it and race. What is my cheapest route to make 900 horsepower without buying aftermarket block ???????? Will a 512 or 540 stroker kit and 270 trickflows heads make that much horsepower????

That is pushing a lot for a stock block, and aftermarket block would be recommended. With the forced induction, you could keep the RPMs lower, and that may help a stock block survive? Just a guess, but you likely will only want about 9:1 compression. The TF heads are 78cc chamber, and most of the 440 source kits are around 10:1 or higher compression. You would likely need custom pistons, and not sure you want the long 7.1" steel rods either. Might want to use a 6.8" aluminum rod. The aluminum rods would be easier on the blocks lower end, and being shorter can allow the pistons to have more dish and room for the ring placement. I'd guess that you would have at least $20K or more in the engine, blower, fuels system and exhaust when your done, and I would not risk that much on a stock engine block.

If you are serious just buy the Blown Wedge crate motor from INDY CYLINDER HEAD...It makes 950HP and has a 4 bolt Block that will last. Cost About $25,000.
With 900+ HP and a stock block (even with a Girdle and Steel Billet or Alum Main caps) you are dreaming if you think it will last....

No need for a stroker. My buddy has a 440, 8/71, iron heads that has put his 69 GTX, (3000LB) in the 5.60s in the 1/8. That's well in the 8 second zone. The motor is for sale. Pm if interested.
Doug

You're off to a bad start. Cheap parts and stock block for 1000hp. Better re-think the budget or what you want to accomplish. And I agree with above, forced induction will make power with a stock arm if money is tight.

Fowler Machine here in Columbus, Ohio can assist you in building the blower motor you need. They even build their ow blowers from scratch. Yes they are the manufacture. They are on Switzer Road out by Port Columbus airport, 2 streets over from 17th ave.

Cut a second 1/4" Keyway in the Crank Snout, 180* around from the factory keyway, if you are going to wick it up a bit with a big rotor 8.
BDS, etc., will supply the accommodating Hub.
And as already mentioned,
no band-aids (Girdle, Caps, etc.) are going to do much to facilitate longevity in a stock 440 Block @ 900-1,000 hp ? Exit = Stage BOTTOM !

Budget as much again at least, as the Engine itself.... for the Car/Susp/Trans/Cooling/Fuel and other "support" systems.

Has Elvis left the building yet ?

Auto Transport Service
Back