• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine colors

I have a 68 Roadrunner late production, it was built in August 68. It has a HI-Perf 383 that was and still is blue. The only other sunfire yellow 68 roadrunner I have seen that was factory original shares the color under the hood. It isn't turquoise, it's a light shade of blue.

I have never seen any 68 RR's produced later than 7/12 at the STL plant and 7/17 at Lynch Road. Are you sure this is a 68 produced in August of 1968 or was it produced in August of 67? If it is a 68 produced later than 712 or 717, it would be great to see a picture of the tag.

The first non prototype 69's I have seen carry 801 SPDs so it's hard to imagine 68 model year cars were still being produced in August of 1968.

Any pictures of this engine? Hard to imagine that an engine would be blue when the standard for 68 is turquoise.

I have never seen any 68 RR's produced later than 7/12 at the STL plant and 7/17 at Lynch Road. Are you sure this is a 68 produced in August of 1968 or was it produced in August of 67? If it is a 68 produced later than 712 or 717, it would be great to see a picture of the tag.

The first non prototype 69's I have seen carry 801 SPDs so it's hard to imagine 68 model year cars were still being produced in August of 1968.

Any pictures of this engine? Hard to imagine that an engine would be blue when the standard for 68 is turquoise.

You are right on both cases, I double checked the biuld date this morning and it is a 6 not an 8 so a June production, and my wife has dutifully reminded me that I have yellow/blue color blindness and that my engine is most definately turquoise!

You are right on both cases, I double checked the biuld date this morning and it is a 6 not an 8 so a June production, and my wife has dutifully reminded me that I have yellow/blue color blindness and that my engine is most definately turquoise!

I can relate...red/green color blind here. Flashing traffic signals can be a real adventure. :)

I myself can see only one in-question of the paint posting here. In the late 1963 year, the 426 WEDGE was Turquoise Mopar Paint P4120752 in MOST cases, (later the same year they were painted Orange Mopar Paint P412075). HOWEVER, the first Mopar 426 HEMI's were NOT Orange Mopar Paint P4120751. Reason was the "Hemi" of the day was a BOLT-ON to the 426 WEDGE block. therefore were the blocks were painted as the Turquoise color, and the heads to match. This HOWEVER WAS "RACE-ONLY" NONE of these HEMI's were on the street.... This also says that the "production" of these was VERY LOW....I'd be seriously surprised if a REAL honest-to-goodness version of these Hemi even exist today! BUT the numbers are staggering, I think it may be a number of 20 blocks or so......I mean really, NOT 20 thousand, or 2000 of them, I mean twenty 426 Hemi motors were Turquoise.....THEN that changed with the Hemi-Orange after the block was re-cast for race use.....See the bolt on Hemi to the 426 Wedge B-RB block was thin-walled, and the casting plant had to thicken this for the races....BY that time the new casted "thick blocks were deemed "HEMI" and that's when the Orange for those blocks began!

Interesting tid-bit here.....BUT that's a rare known fact!

My '67 318 just got painted VHT Chevy red Orange because it was cheap and it looks good.... but there were a red on top of and orange color and the engine #'s had a different turquoise paint just over the #...

Chrysler Blue was NOT a universal Mopar engine color until the 1972 model year. ALL B/RB, LA and Six engines were blue, starting then. The first appearance of that color was in SOME A-body 318 & 340 engines in 1969. In fact, for 1969, depending on where the car was assembled, you can find either Orange, Red, and Blue 340 engines in A-bodies!

Blue did not appear until 1969.

In fact, for 1969, depending on where the car was assembled, you can find either Orange, Red, and Blue 340 engines in A-bodies!

If engines were assembled and painted at an engine assembly plant then shipped to the car assembly plants to be installed in a car, why would the car assembly plant make a difference as to color?

I have a '66 Satellite with a 440 engine that wasn't stock, it's painted black...know that's not right. the 440 was an option in '66 but what color is the engine supposed to be?

I have a '66 Satellite with a 440 engine that wasn't stock, it's painted black...know that's not right. the 440 was an option in '66 but what color is the engine supposed to be?

In '66 the 440 was not an option for a B body. It was for C bodies only. Since the engine is not original nor a factory option for the car, you can pretty much paint it what ever color you want. Turquoise would be appropriate. Orange would be common but you'll get mixed views on that.

Thanks PRHouse.... mine is a 68 Satellite Sport as well and that is going to be on the things to do list soon.

So what color would a 68 charger 383 HP 4Spd W/ A/C would be
Also curious what color the tranny & bellhousing would have been lots of great info here

So what color would a 68 charger 383 HP 4Spd W/ A/C would be
Also curious what color the tranny & bellhousing would have been lots of great info here
No HP 383 in 68 Charger. It would be the 330 horse motor. I’m gonna say turquoise for color and as far as I know transmissions and bellhousings were just natural with overspray on the bellhousing.

No HP 383 in 68 Charger. It would be the 330 horse motor. I’m gonna say turquoise for color and as far as I know transmissions and bellhousings were just natural with overspray on the bellhousing.
Thank you oh ok I just thought I had read somewhere the 4barrel 383 were HP’s in 68 but wasn’t here and been a while I’m still digging in here so hopefully I can get spun up what my car did have originally

1st Street Hemi was painted different color orange
than later models.
My 66 was more pumpkin orange,not
the brighter orange.

Thank you oh ok I just thought I had read somewhere the 4barrel 383 were HP’s in 68 but wasn’t here and been a while I’m still digging in here so hopefully I can get spun up what my car did have originally

only in the roadrunner and superbees

Off topic a little guys. How long would a Mopar Performance spray bomb last? I have 6 cans of hemi orange and a couple of argent. Any Ideas? Bought them back in 2004. Always been in my basement, never frozen or sprayed. Not looking to sell them just curious. Not going to use them on my 70 383 Magnum HP. At least that's what I'm saying now.
Any insight would be appreciated.

I have a 68 Roadrunner late production, it was built in August 68. It has a HI-Perf 383 that was and still is blue. The only other sunfire yellow 68 roadrunner I have seen that was factory original shares the color under the hood. It isn't turquoise, it's a light shade of blue.

41A39E20-D2A5-4242-9ED2-4358E0566D82.jpeg
DA0A7771-344A-49DE-A257-5FDDF0EC362B.jpeg
Here is my 68 RR 383 fender tag

Auto Transport Service
Back