• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine height question

69_ply

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
Hey all, long time lurker with a question. Installing 5.7 into 69 b body and according to TTI's instructions the front is almost an inch too high. I have it bolted to a 518 so i may have an issue with the tail shaft being too low. If anyone has a similar combo would you be able to do some measuring. Would appreciate any input.

Dont go by that!! Get the tailshaft in the right spot and all is good.

I guess thats what i might have to do, i will install the torsion bars, headers and steering box and see how many things are trying to fit in the same space.

You'll know if ya got the tailshaft to high cause the headers will hit the trans crossmember.

Thanks for the tip, about how close should they come to the cross member?

If you have the front of the motor to high you are going to bring in angle issues which will make more problems.

You'll have to install the headers and mock it up to see where your at and go from there.

So everything fits, and nothing hits, but i could still use a measurement from the middle of the tail shaft to the floor. Currently i have 4 inches with the trans jammed up as far as it will go. I think the 518 and 727 are close to the same length so a stock measurement should get me in the ballpark. I tried to attach a picture(i hope)

Attachments

• IMG_9922.JPG
    IMG_9922.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 199
I dont have a measurement for ya as mine is a 545rfe trans and also its in a 64 b body. Have you put an angle finder on the trans to see where your at? So far, it looks good from here.

Measure the pinion angle at the rear and the angle of the trans at the rear seal flange to calculate the ideal installed height. If pinion angle is off you will be fighting that forever after the build. If the trans position will not work with the pinion angle you can adjust the rear end with wedged shims as need to get where you need to be.

Thanks guys, this whole car has been screwed with, it has been minitubed and the springs moved in. It also has caltracs and monoleafs, and the spring perches aren't welded on yet. It has so many variables it's got my head spinning.

Make the motor and trans level.... then worry about pinion angle AFTER you drive the car.

Ultimately you really want the motor level.

If i was you i'd leave the trans with just a smidgen of room from touching anything at the top and drop the motor down to make it level

Make the motor and trans level.... then worry about pinion angle AFTER you drive the car.

Ultimately you really want the motor level.

If i was you i'd leave the trans with just a smidgen of room from touching anything at the top and drop the motor down to make it level

I believe Ideal is actually 3-4 degrees of back tilt. This slight tilt keeps the oil running toward the sump in the oilpan and is typical. I have not installed my 5.7 yet so I am of no use but I also will be building my own motor mounts instead of using the TTI's.

Did some measuring and trans to rear diff is around 2 deg different. I ordered some new rubber motor mounts and will try to wiggle the front down a bit. I think I'm in pretty good shape, thanks for the ideas.

Auto Transport Service
Back