• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine Paint

Cliff426

Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Any recommendations on a good engine paint to use for touch up...brush on preferred. Also I see a lot of places advertise two oranges>>> Race hemi and street hemi? What would be correct for 69 RR 383...thanks

Not sure about street HEMI vs race HEMI color, but HEMI orange did change a bit from year to year.

I use duplicolor HEMI orange, though I've only seen it in spray can.

street hemi ... Bill Hirsch engine paints ....

20170218_160830.jpg 20161004_201844.jpg

I understand that there are 2 oranges for 69, an early and a late.

I ordered the paint from Gibson a month ago and he asked me early or late and I decided that I would be painting the engine at night, so I chose the late one.

Actually, mine is a Gen III restomod so the build date was not important and I just leaned toward the second color.

For small touch-ups with spray paint I spray it into a shallow cup from 3-4 inches away, about 10 seconds or so, it will puddle and then you can dab it on with a brush or sponge..it will evaporate so you have to work quickly. Repeat if you need more wet paint..the 'race' hemi orange had more of a red look to it IIRC..

Auto Transport Service
Back