• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine picture... but a question for you too.

Miccara

Local time
10:39 AM
Reaction score
IMG_1042.jpg

Just thought you might enjoy the engine shot... but I do have a question. I can't
find mine spline alignment tool. Anyone install a clutch, pressure plate without one? What kinda bitch problem will it be when I try to hook up the tranny?

I bought a cheapo multi-alignment tool years ago. Then, when I went to install a new clutch I noted that they now include a plastic one in the box with it. At least they did the last two times I did it. Other than that, I had saved an old front spline to do the job but it was only for the 23 tooth , wouldn't work for the 18 tooth! Good luck!

Actually, I think that some auto parts stores let you rent or borrow one for free or real cheap!

I don't recommend installing a clutch without an alignment tool.
upload_2017-12-16_20-13-33.png

Or, if you have an old transmission, you can cut the input shaft and have a "free" alignment tol.

When I was a young man and couldn't afford much as far as specialty tools go, I would just align it evenly behind the pressure plate with your fingers.Feel around the edge of the plate for the disc before you get it tightened up, move it around to get it even then start to tighten the pressure plate. I don't remember having a problem getting the input shaft lined by doing this. Of course if you could come up with a tool it would take the guess work out of it. Good luck.

I've actually used a snug broomstick handle in the past. Kid thee not.
It worked, BTW. :lol:
As someone else posted above, sometimes the clutch manufacturer actually includes an alignment tool in the kit nowadays. I know CenterForce did with my Dual Friction setup.

I've actually used a snug broomstick handle in the past. Kid thee not.
It worked, BTW. :lol:
As someone else posted above, sometimes the clutch manufacturer actually includes an alignment tool in the kit nowadays. I know CenterForce did with my Dual Friction setup.
That may be the one he lost.....

Broomstick...now thats interesting and would love to see that....

X everyone else, get an alignment tool....

Hey, improvising gets us out of jams from time to time.
Transmission will tell you in a hurry if you got it right or not, eh?

Yes, of course a proper tool is the way to go.

Hey, improvising gets us out of jams from time to time.
Transmission will tell you in a hurry if you got it right or not, eh?

Yes, of course a proper tool is the way to go.
Honestly, I am actually curious to see that if possible...I like on the fly home solutions..

I have used the transmission itself. Just takes a buddy to help hold everything in place.

When I was a young man and couldn't afford much as far as specialty tools go, I would just align it evenly behind the pressure plate with your fingers.Feel around the edge of the plate for the disc before you get it tightened up, move it around to get it even then start to tighten the pressure plate. I don't remember having a problem getting the input shaft lined by doing this. Of course if you could come up with a tool it would take the guess work out of it. Good luck.

x2.

I have used the transmission itself. Just takes a buddy to help hold everything in place.
Or push the clutch pedal in to releave the clutch disk.
I have never used a aligment tool on a single disk clutch. Multi disk yes. But when installing a trans thats weight is a few thousand pounds alignment is critical.

Auto Transport Service
Back