• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Science Demystified

moes

Local time
4:39 PM
Reaction score
I know this is not Mopar but I found this on SUPERCHEVY.COM about exhaust systems, it is very good reading. Check this out you might learn something about exhaust, it is by David Vizard (Ex-aerospace engineer David Vizard is one of the world's most widely published automotive writers).

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exhaust/0505phr-exh/

can't believe i read that.....holy air professor!
..i think i read
a 2 1/2" exhaust pipe will flow 560 cfm so 2 at 560 = 500 hp
Muffler inlet / outlet size has no affect on power... muffler capacity does
Tail pipe has no affect on power
Exhaust pipes too big hurt power
scavenging only worthwhile above 4000 rpm on cams with lots of overlap?
exhaust pipe flow must match engine air flow?

Last edited:
..i think i read

Exhaust pipes too big hurt power
scavenging only worthwhile above 4000 rpm on cams with lots of overlap?
exhaust pipe flow must match engine air flow?
First question, yes. Though I think overlap maybe overstated a little bit but yes. It’s more on how a large cam and it works with its characteristics.

Second question, yes if you want to obtain/retain a zero loss exhaust system.

You can do a search on how much flow a certain diameter pipe will allow cfm wise and go from there. Remember the 2.2 per HP rule.
Pay attention to my frost flow as well.

The performance automotive engine math book says the same thing with a way to calculate it as a function of what RPM you want the peak torque at. It also has a story of the writer doing some dyno runs on a Chevy 454 where the owner put the 2.5" headers "everyone was running" and was disappointed in performance. The author talked the guy into trying a set of 1.75" headers he had in the shop. 38 ft-lb increase in peak torque and 20HP across the band. If you use the math for our Mopar engines on the street looking for torque around 3800 RPM

318/340/360 = 1.5" pipes.
383 = 1.6" pipes
440/426 = 1.75" pipes

Length is a function of where the exhaust valve opens and is dependent on camshaft selection.

Last edited:
Thank you Jim!

After you read (and comprehend) this book you start reading some "evaluation" of performance parts by HotRod or that Engine Performance show you can start to predict or at least understand where the differences comes from. There is a header comparison for Mopar SB engines by HotRod out there. They had shorties and a couple economy and "pro" headers and were sort of impressed why the shorties had better performance. Well the full length headers were 2" (or at least larger than needed by the above formula). The comments about the headers matched what book text predicted. The full length would have outperformed the shorties if they had been a better match of diameter for the cubic inch displacement of the SB.

Oh good. I like stuff like that. I do get the whole idea of a “Package” that performs and understand how and where things get unbalanced for the most part.

I have a few books that help a bit. Most knowledge has been gained via school of hard knocks (pre internet days) and the MP books. I took a break raising kids and working to much.

I’m about ready to start up the madness again.

The performance automotive engine math book says the same thing with a way to calculate it as a function of what RPM you want the peak torque at. It also has a story of the writer doing some dyno runs on a Chevy 454 where the owner put the 2.5" headers "everyone was running" and was disappointed in performance. The author talked the guy into trying a set of 1.75" headers he had in the shop. 38 ft-lb increase in peak torque and 20HP across the band. If you use the math for our Mopar engines on the street looking for torque around 3800 RPM

318/340/360 = 1.5" pipes.
383 = 1.6" pipes
440/426 = 1.75" pipes

Length is a function of where the exhaust valve opens and is dependent on camshaft selection.
426 hemis came out w/ bigger pipes that stated here.

426 hemis came out w/ bigger pipes that stated here.

I may be Chrysler got it wrong.... or had a a different non-performance goal in mind (noise, etc)

What I would love to know here is what diameter the headers are. If they are not has large in cross sectional area then the test makes sense. The optimal diameter will maximize the separation between the max torque and max HP. Now I know better I hate these tests without more information on the sizes of the pipes/ports.

Last edited:
Headed primary pipe size would be a nice to know. I have found out personally that you can go a step higher than what the crowd does and sometimes 2 steps if your engine is a bit pumped up.

In example a hot rodded small block @ 360 cubes is normally found with the typical 1-5/8 header. In most cases I have found a 1-3/4 to be better in performance and fit & 1-7/8 for a more serious engine without a notable loss of torque worth crying about This IF it is even noticed!
Your butt dyno will never know!
But yes you can go to far.

This all made me curious so I started to do some analysis. Using the book I mentioned (NOTE that one of the formulas he quotes from another book is wrong. He forgot the square root notation) and Performance Trends Software. If you run a series of plots using a validated 340 engine and the stock manifolds that have an average 5" length the length is not long enough to do any scavenging since one cylinders pulse has reached the collector before the next one has time to fire so bigger is better in the diameter. There is a point where it makes little difference but 2.0" is better than the 1.5" I stated above. This is swept from 1.00" to 2.25"

Stock Manifold Varying Tube Size.png

Then I used the formula to calculate the ideal diameter of 1.5" and then swept collector length. This is where things got more interesting. If you use the formula for the length to diameter it says I should use a 35.25" for a peak torque 4000 RPM (which is validated in the run). Here are the sweeps from 15" to 60" (max the tool will allow) in 5" steps. What is interesting is that the peak HP is made at the 35" length at about 5600 RPM (the blue one) but if you make the length just a little longer the peak comes down a bit at 5600 RPM but there is a fair amount of increase in HP in the 2500-4500 RPM range and the torque gets higher and higher until about 55" then the length stops having an effect.

Header Length Variation.png

The design of the collector makes a difference but there is not much theory that can help design it. The books say its design is best dialed at the track.

So if we take a header and hold the length constant and use a 1.5" and 2.0" tube on the 340 we get this. The 2.0 pushes the peak HP point up in RPM (as expected) and does make a bit more peak HP there but the rest of the band where most of use want the power for the street takes a hit. Also notice that the factory manifolds really make more torque at very low RPM where us granny drivers typically are. Thus my decision to keep the stock manifolds and not use headers because of the way I drive my Coronet appears to be the right choice. I rarely am above 3000 RPM.

35in length 2.5 and 2.0 Tubes.png

So now lets use the formula the 2.0" pipes... The first thing is for a 2" pipe the peak torque will need to be shifted all the way out to 7000 RPM with a collector length of 24". Having peak torque at 7000 RPM seems like a pipe dream as it is likely falling by that point so I don't have high expectations for this combination. And I was right. Worse performance everywhere other than keeping the torque up with the factory manifolds under 2000 RPM.

35in length 1.5 and 24in length 2.0 Tubes.png

Note that your milage may vary as this is a model and it assumed everything was held at a constant other than the pipes. Optimizing an engine is a very interesting and complicated problem to say the least.

Last edited:
if i'm calculating correct,400 hp will require a minimum of 2 inch duals.
...So Ma Mopar had it correct with 2 1/4" duals.

Great read and information, but owww, my head hurts!!!

if i'm calculating correct,400 hp will require a minimum of 2 inch duals.
...So Ma Mopar had it correct with 2 1/4" duals.
If that calculation is correct....
Only if the muffler can flow what is needed. The mufflers would need to flow 440 cfm or 220 cfm each.

I myself would use a 2-1/2 inch dual exhaust.
Chamber mufflers would Hooker Aero Chambers. I have personally used those.
Turbo mufflers would be the Dyno Max super turbos. I also have these in use now.
I have used the Hooker Max Flo mufflers as well. Excellent power wise. I didn’t like the sound.

i thought exhaust cross overs (h or x) reduced noise allowing the factory to use low restriction mufflers.
Have there ever been any flow tests on factory mufflers?

Auto Transport Service
Back