• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory exhaust systems, welded or clamped?

Going a little off-topic but I remember reading a resto(?) guide years ago and author was saying seat release slider knob was chrome on a '68(?). So I went & looked, nope he was wrong. So I classify myself as an "expert" when stuff gets asked that I know I've never replaced; that's one of the good things about being able to "touch it"!

IMG_1116.JPG

I used to part cars in the early to mid 70's (mostly E bodies) and saw stuff that you just know wasn't replaced be different from the same year car model. I also messed with 65-66 Mustangs and they were way worse than Mopars for mid year changes etc on just about everything!

Going a little off-topic but I remember reading a resto(?) guide years ago and author was saying seat release slider knob was chrome on a '68(?). So I went & looked, nope he was wrong. So I classify myself as an "expert" when stuff gets asked that I know I've never replaced; that's one of the good things about being able to "touch it"!

View attachment 511547
And a pic to prove it....The carpet and sill plate further show the originality! :thumbsup: I would like to see more pics of your car! PM me some...

Door handles were also a big dilemma between 68/69.....Some said ALL 69 models had chrome buttons but early 69 builds received the black buttons....My GTX was one....

Tomorrow Justin- 60's had chrome buttons that I remember. Black on my '68. I start shaking my head when reading/looking at some stuff in catalogs/internet. Definitely not what I remember sometimes. Course, remembering is the operative word! Maybe 'lewtot' will chime in again? Went to 50th class reunion last week & we were telling stories, 'some' I remembered & others I didn't(?).

I can also vouch for the originality of the 68 383 muffler to head pipes being welded from the factory. One car being a October of 67 production and the other being a July of 68 production. I would think as mentioned earlier, it was a cost thing. Also, being that it was not a "H" pipe, the muffler and pipe could be positioned in a jig for quick welding and no real issues with the installation process.
I have been fortunate to view the warehouse, housing many of the obsolete parts through the years that Frank Mitchell accumulated and assembly line pieces were there for purchase as well. Just like any aspect of these high end restorations, it is the details that separate the upper levels in the pursuit of assembly line perfection.

I can also vouch for the originality of the 68 383 muffler to head pipes being welded from the factory. One car being a October of 67 production and the other being a July of 68 production. I would think as mentioned earlier, it was a cost thing. Also, being that it was not a "H" pipe, the muffler and pipe could be positioned in a jig for quick welding and no real issues with the installation process.
I have been fortunate to view the warehouse, housing many of the obsolete parts through the years that Frank Mitchell accumulated and assembly line pieces were there for purchase as well. Just like any aspect of these high end restorations, it is the details that separate the upper levels in the pursuit of assembly line perfection.
I do not disagree on the 383 aspect or a plant variation but not in relation to all production line cars with any motor as I mentioned earlier...Was never a fan of FM but the ones running the show now are top notch....

If most people understood the time, patience and dedication building one of these cars they would understand them more...

Clamps only.....

However, does not mean that someone back in the day welded it up and threw the clamps away....Do you see clamp markings? Are the mufflers original with pn and penstar?
Mine's all welded ('cept for at the manifold, of course), but not original as the mufflers appear to be Walkers. I was curious because I was debating weld vs. clamp for the new TTI system I'm installing. I'll go w/ clamps in case I want to later remove, modify, etc.
Thanks a ton for all the info.!

Mine's all welded ('cept for at the manifold, of course).
Takes pictures of the original mufflers and post here...

Didn't notice your edit after the fact......tips we're never welded originally....being all welded up means when your mufflers were replaced they welded the rest.....

Every tti I had I welded it up completely....imho that's the best way...

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back